Treachery

After a few short weeks of Ragnar's absence, Aslaug had given birth to her new baby. Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye. He was given this name after Aslaug's father, who had died slaying the dragon Fafnir. The shape of that same beast took place in Sigurd's eye, distorting his pupil into a long, winding line. 

After the baby was born, Aslaug had allowed yourself, her sons and Helga to visit. While the other children ran to their mother, Helga gently lifted yourself and Hvitserk onto the bed with a fond smile. Ubbe curiously leaned against his mother, staring down at the little boy as Hvitserk made his way forward. 

Aslaug smiled softly, gesturing for you to join them all. Quietly, you crawled forward and sat at Ubbe's side, the two of you admiring the young boy with smiles. 

"He's so small." Ubbe said, tilting his head as the baby moved slightly in his sleep. 

"You were once this small, Ubbe. Just as Hvitserk and Astrid were." Helga spoke up from beside the bed, her own eyes trying to get a peek at the boy. 

You reached your hand toward the little baby which he clung onto as he cooed. "He's so cute." You gasped, doe-eyes wide with amazement as the women in the room chuckled.

-

Far away from Kattegat, in Gotland, Jarl Borg and his new wife smiled as they walked into the large hall. They were welcomed with cheers, applause and laughter, along with the tune of lively music. They walked around the large table of people, moving to the two large, empty seats at the head of the hall. 

Waiting until the married pair were seated, the music and applause stopped as the crowd joined them in sitting at the table. Jarl Borg soon stood, shaking his head when his people went to do the same. After ensuring that they all remained seated, the man sighed. 

"Friends, family... what's left of it, I am married for the second time. As most of you know, my first marriage lasted less than an hour, because my own brother poisoned the drinks that day. Of course, the same thing can never happen twice, so let the wine be poured."

The crowd cheered, banging their golden cups and horns onto the long table in celebration. Jarl Borg reached for a large pitcher, pouring the red liquid into the cup before him. Holding it up, he faced his people. "Now, who will be the first to drink in celebration?"

Murmurs erupted as the people glanced at each other, none clearly wanting to take the risk of being poisoned in such a way. Torvi, Jarl Borg's new wife, smiled as she stood. "I will." 

The man stared at her as she took his cup, giving her a short nod as she gripped his arm. The kind woman smiled, looking to her new people before going to take a sip. Suddenly, the cup was taken from her soft hands. 

"No. No, I could not bear it, not a second time. Let me taste the wine!"

Jarl Borg glanced at Torvi, sighing as he brought the cup to his lips and downed the drink in one go. Soon, however, mere seconds after he had felt it slip down his throat... he began to cough. He cleared his throat, coughing again and a third time.

His people sat up in alarm, most staring in worry as he leaned against the table. Had he been poisoned?

Jarl Borg smirked, nodding to the pitchers all over the table. "That's good enough. Skol!"

The crowd sighed in relief, laughing as they raised their own cups and cheered. They poured their drinks, most taking large and eager gulps. After Torvi and Jarl Borg placed a kiss on each other's lips, everyone sat down. But before the feast could begin, Jarl Borg raised his hand. The crowded hall fell silent, each looking to their Lord in confusion. 

"I have something else important to say. I don't wish to dampen the celebrations, but you all know that the agreement between myself, King Horik and Ragnar Lothbrok has been broken. They have gone raiding west without me, without us! It is an insult not just to me, but to all of  you. And now, also to my wife and to my wife's family. I have to do something about this insult."