Warrior's Fate

A man had come to Kattegat. Harbard, his name was. But the strange thing was not the stranger. No.

It was the fact that Siggy, Aslaug and Helga had all dreamed of his arrival. The exact same dream, shared between 3 women. They shared another dream of finding the Seer, the immortal messenger of the gods, tied and covered in blood.

You sat in the Earl's hall, playing with Siggy and Aslaug and the other children when Helga opened the door. She walked in, a man following. He wore a cloak as he inspected the room.

The laughter stopped when everyone noticed Helga and the man beside her causing you to frown in confusion as to who this man was. The man's hand was dripping with blood as you stared.

"This stranger approached me in the market." Helga said. "He cut his hand badly and has asked for our help."

"Of course we will help." Aslaug said after a moment. "Siggy, go and fetch some hot water."

Helga walked over to you as Ubbe and Hvitserk left, taking Sigurd with them. "Go with Ubbe and Hvitserk while we speak to this man."

You nodded, going to pick up Ivar before Aslaug stopped you. "It's alright, darling. Go and play with the boys."

-

You awoke late that night to Ivar's pained shrieks. Rolling out of bed, you clumsily made your way towards his crib while the boys slowly awoke.

"Dear Boneless." You frowned as you sat beside his crop and let him cling to your hand. Any time that this happened, you could do nothing to stop his cries. Neither could Aslaug or anyone else. Ivar would cry and cry until he was out of tears.

Though you were surprised when Aslaug and Harbard came in. She rushed to check on her son while Harbard stared at you both.

"Queen Aslaug." He said, making his way towards the crib

Aslaug moved to sit beside you, giving Harbard room to check on the shrieking child.

"Listen to me, Ivar." The man said as he crouched beside the crib. "All the pain is going away, Ivar. All the pain is going away."

Slowly, Ivar's cries started to cease as Harbard stroked the boy's hair.

"I am taking your pain." Harbard continued. "Hush, good boy. There is no more pain. No more pain, it's all going away."

Ivar cries stopped as you all ways he'd in amazement as Harbard soothed Ivar to sleep.

"How did you do that?" Aslaug asked quietly

But Harbard didn't answer, instead looking to you. "You sooth him. You make him happy." The man said. "Your voice calms him. One day, you will be very important to Ivar."

-

Two young boys, children of people from the market, had been found deep in the water of the fjord. They had drowned after they went missing hours ago.

Many were horrified at their ice cold and pale white skin. Their lips were blue, their bodies as frozen as the ice in the winter.

One woman pushed past you and screamed as she rushed to one of the boys. "Thorolf! My son! My poor son!"

She cried loudly as another woman pushed past the crowd only to discover her own son dead as well.

"No! Raud!"

They sobbed and sobbed for what felt like hours while you stared at the boys until Helga covered your eyes, not wanting you to see but not wanting to leave you unsupervised.

"They must have drowned for I found no marks on their bodies." The fisherman who had found them said.

"How is this possible? So far out to sea?" Another man asked

"All I know is, my nets were suddenly heavy, like I'd caught a whale." The fisherman said.

-

Later that day, you managed to sneak away from Helga, Aslaug and Siggy.

Quickly and quietly, you walked through the streets of Kattegat until you found it.

The home of the Seer. The immortal messenger of the Gods.

You were about to knock on the door when you heard his raspy voice.

"Come in, Astrid. Daughter of the boatbuilder, Floki."

Opening the door, you saw the man, playing with the skull of a bird. Shutting the door, you sat down in front of him.

"What is it you want, child?"

"I have a few questions that I hoped you could answer, Ancient One."

"Ask away."

"Firstly, I want to know of my father, Floki. Is he alive? Or did he die in battle?"

"I see that your father is alive and facing a great deal of troubles. Dangerous thoughts fill his head under the Sky of the Christian God known as Jesus Christ." The Seer said

"Secondly and lastly, what do the gods have in store for me. What does my future hold?" You asked

"Ah, yes. The Gods allow me to see." The Seer said. "I see red. Blood pouring from the wounds of your enemies. I see war. I see a throne. I see a man. A god. You will go to war with him. You become famous to the world, young Astrid."

"Who? What god do you see?" You eagerly asked

"Frigg, the wife of Odin, has already chosen but has not given me the answers. Come back another day and I might tell you what you wish to know."

You nodded and gave him his payment before standing and leaving his hut, hearing him talk to himself as you left.

-