Answers in Blood

The plan that the warriors made worked. They burned the winter food storage, luring Jarl Borg out of Kattegat. After a long and tiring battle, Jarl Borg had been forced to retreat as Ragnar and the other warriors reclaimed Kattegat.

As soon as the people of Kattegat saw the warriors and everyone that had fled to the Mountains, they all began cheering as they greeted you all with hugs and smiles

-

"On this day, we offer a sacrifice to Odin, the mighty one. To thank him for our victory over Jarl Borg!" Rollo exclaimed outside of the Great Hall, the people of Kattegat cheering. You sat on your father's shoulders, waiting for Rollo to kill one of Jarl Borg's men by cutting off his head.

When Torstien brought out the man, the crowd began to boo at him until it fell silent. They stared as Rollo stepped closer to the man and gestured to his tied hands. "Release him from his bonds." He said. "I know he will want to die well."

Torstien did as told and untied the man. The warrior standing before the crowd merely stared down at the small block on the ground, his eyes slowly trailing back up to Rollo. 

"Kneel." Rollo ordered. 

Once again, the man did as told as Rollo picked up a large axe and moved to stand behind him. "In the presence of the Gods, and in their honour, I offer this sacrifice."

You giggled, watching eagerly as Rollo slowly raised the heavy weapon. Floki gently patted your leg, though his expression of excitement matched the one on your own face. Just as Rollo went to cut off the man's head, Ragnar spoke up from the shadows of the Earl's Hall. "Stop!"

Everyone was confused as they turned to the Earl. Ragnar quickly placed his cup of ale onto a small table, coming down to stand with his older brother. He held his hand out for the axe which Rollo reluctantly gave to him, still holding his expression of confusion. Ragnar took it and held the weapon out for Bjorn who stood beside his mother. The young man was shocked and confused as he looked to his father while everyone else looked to him. "Father...?"

Ragnar tilted his head, giving Bjorn all the confirmation he needed. He wanted Bjorn to be the one to execute the man. Bjorn walked forward and took the axe from his father, taking Rollo's place behind the sacrifice.

"In the presence of the Gods, and in their honour, I offer this sacrifice."

The axe swung through the air, cutting the man's head off as the crowd cheered. Bjorn's face had been splattered with the blood of the man he had just killed, his wide eyes watching the blood fall from the block and into the wooden bowl like a waterfall. The young man remained frozen for a moment and remained silent.

Floki put you down, rushing to where the blood of the dead man was pouring into a bowl and covering his hands in it. He painted his face in the red liquid before placing a bloody hand print on your own face. With that, both of you began dancing around in celebration.

-

As rain poured from the skies, you along with many others were in the Earl's hall. Your parents wanted the night for themselves so you were being watched by Ragnar and his family. You were playing with the sons of Ragnar, Bjorn, Hvitserk and Ubbe.

Your laughter echoed around the halls as Bjorn tickled you, Ubbe and Hvitserk soon joining him.

Soon enough, the tickling stopped as Bjorn picked you up and placed you on his shoulders. He then picked up Ubbe and Hvitserk and carried you all over to Ragnar and Aslaug who had been sharing a loving kiss.