Kill the Queen

Late in the night, while many were asleep, you took an axe that your father had once owned. Quietly, you snuck through the streets of Kattegat until you reached your father. He was awake, starving, dehydrated and shivering.

When he saw you and the axe, he was about to ask questions but you placed a finger to your mouth and signalled for him to keep quiet

Raising the axe, you swung down hard and the chains were cut clean around his neck. Then it was the same with his hands and feet.

With your father free, you handed him furs and weapons. "Go, Papa!" You said

Knowing that there was no going back, Floki quickly got himself ready and placed a kiss on your temple before fleeing out of Kattegat.

Without hesitation, you went back to where you, your mother and sister were staying and pretended to sleep until you heard guards shouting. It wasn't even dawn yet.

Dogs were barking over and over as guard searched but found nothing.

You and your family had awaken due to the racket as you moved outside. You pretended you knew nothing until you saw Ubbe looking for the man as well. Rushing toward your friend, you grabbed his hand and dragged him behind a barn urgently as he sighed.

"What do you think you're doing?" You hissed as you turned to face him

"Finding Floki." Ubbe answered with a heavy sigh.

"No. Let him flee. I beg you." You said, grabbing onto his tunic. The boy stayed silent for a moment as he stared down at you. At first, his face showed suspicion. Then, his face went dark as he glared at you.

"You let him go, didn't you?" He asked. "And don't even think of lying. I know you better then you know yourself. You can never lie to me."

"Yes. Please. I couldn't bare to see him suffer so." You frowned.

"I won't tell my father." Ubbe sighed. "But I will go find yours."

"No! No, Ubbe! Please!" You begged.

The boy remained silent and turned to leave but you made him face you again as you kept begging. Seeing he wasn't changing his mind only angered you as you began pushing and hitting his chest. Ubbe groaned loudly in frustration as he grabbed your wrists and held them together with a tight grip as he began dragging you out from behind the barn, ignoring your pleads and shouts.

After finding your mother, he soon gave you to her, the woman holding you tightly as you shouted insults at Ubbe.

The boy said nothing and left, feeling sick to his stomach, knowing how much you were hurting.

-

Later, in the day, you sat with Helga and Angrboda in the boathouse which your father owns. You heard Ragnar before you saw him, the clunck of the staff he used. He was still healing and couldn't walk without support yet.

You didn't dare look up to meet his gaze as he limped into the room, to scared that he knew what you did.

He sat down between you and your mother. As you went to stand, he grabbed your wrist with a tight grip and forced you to sit back down.

"Helga, did you free Floki?" Ragnar asked, still holding your wrist

The woman didn't answer.

"What about you, Astrid? Did you free your father?"

"I don't know. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't." You shrugged. "Angrboda, come." You gently called

Your little sister quickly did as told as you wrapped her in a blanket and placed her on your lap, you mother moving to hold the both of you. Angrboda rested her head on your shoulder, hungry and tired.