18

Sitting in camp, Ivar watched you and a now 9 year old Yrsa play with sticks, pretending they were swords and laughing happily.

"I was just thinking that King Harald May die in the battle ahead." Ivar said, looking to Hvitserk. "By who's hand, I don't know."

"Do you really so much want to be King of all Norway?" Hvitserk asks

"Well, wouldn't that make me even more famous? Huh? You see, Hvitserk... nobody talks about Ragnar anymore. They've already forgotten who he was. That frightens me. Yes, they talk about me. The Saxons talk about me and the Rus and all along the Silk Road but... it's not enough. I want a good name to leave with Yrsa. The Princess of all Norway? She'll be remembered and feared for life."

With that, Ivar lay on his back, Hvitserk doing the same.

"One day, it's true. I will die. Hopefully in battle. Even though Astrid has a habit of telling me that I'm immortal like our gods." Ivar chuckles. "I don't want to die as a drooling old man, even if that's what she wants. And Odin will welcome me into Valhalla. But when they dig up my bones, I want them to say, 'Here is the grave... of the most famous man who ever lived.' And you know what? My daughter will become a great shield maiden to fight for the Vikings or the Rus or whoever she chooses to fight for. And people, a long way into the future, hundreds of years from now, and probably from all over the world... will be proud to find my blood in their bodies... and my spirit in their souls."

Suddenly, Hvitserk began to chuckle.

"What's so funny?" Ivar asks

"Oh, nothing. Forgive me. You're probably right." Hvitserk replies

"Oh, you better believe me, my brother." Ivar chuckled but stopped when he saw his brother's frown. "What?"

"Your eyes have turned deep blue, Ivar." Hvitserk said. "You know what that means, remember? We used to watch over you, all of us. Our brothers and Astrid and me. We knew that when your eyes turned blue... you were in great danger of hurting yourself. And we would say, 'Not today, Ivar... not today.'"

Hvitserk sighed as he stood and walked off while Ivar laid back down. "Astrid will have a fit..."

-

"If they come now, we shall miss them!" Harald said as you all stood atop the hill after receiving a report from a scout

"It will be days, perhaps even weeks before they get here!" Ivar hissed

"How can you be so sure?" Harald asked with a chuckle

"Either way, whenever they come, they'll have to pass through those trees!" You said, pointing to the trees from the west. "And when they do, we'll be waiting for them."

With that, you walked off, Ivar following closely behind you

-

You had been walking with Ivar when he suddenly lurched forward, grunting in pain. His eyes had been extremely blue and despite your warnings, he didn't listen.

"Ivar!" You gasp, grabbing your husband in concern

"Wait, wait, wait!" Your panting husband said, grabbing his crutch and standing as best as he could. "I'm alright!" He exclaimed as you proceeded to ask about his health

He started to walk again, occasionally grunting in pain until he found a seat across from Hvitserk and beside King Harald. You quickly sat beside him as he breathed heavily. 

"Your eyes are very blue, Ivar. You need rest." You warn

But he remained quiet and stared to where he had broken another bone

"Ivar." You say

"I know how to do it." He said, eyes wide with realization

"What? Do what?" You ask

"I know how to win, Astrid." Ivar says as he grabbed your hand that had been resting on his shoulder

"What are you going to do?" Harald asks

"I'm going to cripple them."

-