New Beginnings

It had been 5 years since Ivar left. Since the attack, lots had changed in Kattegat. Yrsa was turning into a beautiful young girl and you were becoming an even better Queen then you were during the first year.

With Lagertha, Bjorn, Hvitserk, Ubbe and Torvi at your side, leading was easy.

Though Yrsa was a bit harder to control since she snuck away at any chance she saw. Thankfully, Ubbe and Bjorn had experience and helped whenever they could.

Currently, you stood at the docks, dancing around with Yrsa, laughing happily.

You ran to your daughter, picking her up and holding her on your hip as she laughed. "Again, Mama! Again!"

"Again?" You ask, glancing behind her and seeing Ubbe sneaking up.

"Here comes Uncle Ubbe!" He roared, taking her from your arms and bouncing her up and down. The girl giggled as he roared and bounced her around.

-

You heard the cheering of your people before you walked into the hall, seeing Lagertha holding Yrsa as you walked to the throne, people cheering for you.

"People of Kattegat!" You started as you faced them all. "I told you that when I became Queen, my rule would be different then what it was when Ivar was here. Have I not kept my word?!" You ask, earning cheers from the crowd. "When I led with my husband, we built a wall around our town to keep our enemies away. Sadly, I must admit that I supported Ivar when he discouraged foreigners and when he would outlaw free speech and dissent amongst our own people. Kattegat can only survive and grow prosperous through trade, not conquest. My belief has changed over the last 5 years!" You say, earning cheers from the crowd

"This is your meeting. Your chance to come to me with whatever you want, and I will listen. Right now, I am not a Queen, but I am your humble servant." You say, holding your hand out for your daughter. "Come now, darling." You say

Yrsa smiled as she moved away from Lagertha and grabbed your hand, following you to your throne where you placed her on your lap.

"Queen Astrid!" A man shouted

You watched as Ivar's former bodyguard was dragged into the hall. He had gone into hiding after you became the only leader but it seems your men have found him.

"Ah, I remember you." You smirk, standing with your daughter on your hip as you handed her to Torvi who had been standing beside you.

"As do I!" A drunk Hvitserk shouts. "All of these men collaborated willingly with Ivar's regime! They served as the bodyguards of both Astrid and Ivar. They did their bidding, whatever that was. However cruel. However depraved. They did it without compunction, without a thought even for their own families. They burned alive those that Queen Astrid gave the mark of death to. They burned them all alive. They burned alive a young woman called Thora, who I loved."

Sadly, after regaining Kattegat, he had gone mad without Thora and now was drunk every day and every night.

"That is enough, Hvitserk." You hiss

"You gave them all the mark of death! The mark of the Red Queen!" Hvitserk hissed

"Do not forget that while I have changed, I am still Astrid the Heartless and even if you are my childhood friend, I can still give you the same mark I gave Thora and my men will still follow my orders without hesitation." You snarl