Scarred

Winter was rapidly approaching. You sat with a shrieking Ivar, tears in yours and Aslaug's eyes. All either of you wanted to do was help baby Ivar but neither of you could.

"Where is Harbard?" Aslaug asked desperately after spotting Siggy by the fire

"I don't know." Siggy said bitterly

"You have to find him." The Queen said. "Ivar is suffering so badly. I can't bear it."

"Why can't you look after your own child?" Siggy harshly asked

It confused you. She never acted this way and if she did, she didn't do it in front of you and the other children.

Then, Harbard walked in.

"I am here." The man said as he shut the door and locked out the cold. You smiled politely while Siggy grimaced and Helga remained silent. Aslaug's smile was wide and filled with relief.

"Ivar." Harbard said, stroking the baby's head like he's done many times before. "There is no more pain, Ivar. No. No more pain. That's right." The man said as Ivar's screams turned into whimpers. "Very sleepy, Ivar. You're getting very sleepy. There's no more pain."

Though this time, Ivar did not fall asleep. Harbard gently grabbed your hand and guided it to Ivar who grasped onto it tightly. "There. Now go to sleep." Harbard gently said

Ivar obeyed, still holding your hand as he slept. You rested against the crib with a smile.

-

Helga sat with Angrboda and Sigurd by the thrones while Siggy stood, folding laundry by the fire. Aslaug had once again, disappeared with Harbard.
You sat by the fire between Ubbe and Hvitserk when Ubbe suddenly leaned forward and whispered to you both. "When Siggy's not looking, let's leave."

"What are you three whispering about?" Siggy asked.

"Where is our mother?" Ubbe quickly asked, covering up her question with his own

"Queen Aslaug goes to Harbard because of baby Ivar." Siggy said. "Ivar needs Aslaug more then any of you do, and Harbard helps him to look after him. Someday, Ubbe, you will understand what a mother has to sacrifice for her children."

Speaking of children, Ivar began to cry in the back room causing you to frown as Siggy rushed to check on him.

"Let's go." Hvitserk whispered

You all stood, rushing out of the hall and into the cold winter air, thankfully unseen by Helga.

"Where shall we go?" You asked, already shivering.

"You tell us. We'll follow you wherever you wish." Ubbe said, wrapping his arms around your smaller frame to keep you warm.

You thought for a moment before you led them into the woods and towards your favourite lake. It was always so pretty when frozen over with ice in the winter.

After finding it, they thought it was just as pretty as you thought it was.

"Come!" You said. "Papa and I always go on the ice!"

They followed you down the steep hill until you reached the shore. Testing the edge, it was hard enough for you to walk on with the small amount of weight you had compared to an adult.

Carefully, the boys followed you onto the frozen lake as you all began to play with the snow.

"Ubbe! Hvitserk! Astrid! Stop!" You heard Siggy shout You all turned to look at her in confusion but Ubbe threw a snowball at you and Hvitserk, causing you all to forget about Siggy and begin to play again.

"Stop!! Ubbe, stop!" Siggy kept repeating.

Then, it felt as if it was in slow motion. You heard the ice crack and slowly froze, listening to see if it was your imagination or not.

"Astrid, boys.... Stop!" Siggy desperately called

The ice cracked underneath Hvitserk first. He fell through with a scream, soon followed by Ubbe and then you.

"Siggy!"

"Astrid!"

Unable to swim, you and the boys flailed around desperately, fear coursing through your body.

Siggy found Hvitserk first. A moment after, she found Ubbe. Though she had the most trouble finding you.

She swam deeper and deeper until she reached the bottom of the lake where she found you, floating. Your eyes were closed but she had a gut feeling you were alive. Shaking you, your eyes jumped open as you stared at each other underwater.

She smiled, pulling you closer and placing a loving kiss on your forehead, resting her hand on your cheek. She gave you a hug before sending you to the surface. You gasped and gasped, taking gulps of air as Harbard pulled you out... but Siggy never came back up.

She died that day, in the dark depths of the lake. The last memory you had was of how she saved you and your friends. How she hugged you one last time before she pulled you away from the gates of Valhalla and pushed you to Midgard.

She saved you and died because of it.

For that, you would always remember Siggy, and you would always love her.

-

The next day, you sat in your mother's arms, by the warm fire, tears in your eyes. You had not stopped crying since you realized that Siggy gave her life to save yours.

Harbard walked in, causing the silence to become even heavier.

"Why so quiet?" He asked. "Nothing to talk about?"

Aslaug stood as she put a sleeping Ivar in his crib. Both women had become suspicious of Harbard and even became angry with him about his lies.

"Not with you, perhaps." Helga answered coldly.

"So you are tired of me already?" Harbard asked. "Not to worry. It is time for me to be on my way. I am never anywhere to long. I'm to restless."

He had taken a step toward Aslaug but with each step he took, she took one step back.

"Your boy is well." Harbard said, looking to Ivar. "In future, I doubt he will suffer such pains as before. Not when Astrid's by his side."

"And your friend Siggy, she's also very happy. She's with her husband, sons, and daughter in Valhalla. If you don't believe me, you could ask the Seer." Harbard said. "Farewell."

With that, he turned to the door and went to leave.

"Who are you?" Aslaug asked.

"Just a wanderer." Harbard said before he left. Helga put you down and went outside to watch him leave.

Harbard was gone. Siggy was dead. The men had been gone for many months. You and your friends nearly drowned.

Now what?