In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning

The gates to Wessex opened, revealing riders who quickly circled you all.

Ragnar and a Christian man began to speak in their language. Ragnar gestured toward you and Ivar multiple times while talking to the man. When the man raised his hand, you feared they would kill you all but instead, they let you in.

They placed Ivar on a horse as you walked beside Ragnar, occasionally glancing back at your lover.

A man wearing fancy clothing walked out, shouting before he stood face to face with Ragnar.

Guards circled you and Ragnar after a rather loud scream from the man.

"Don't fight." Ragnar whispered

Two guards suddenly grabbed you, pulling you away as another guard knocked Ragnar to his knees. You wanted to help but you promised you would do as told. They kept beating your uncle until he was laying on the ground.

The man from before was laughing at the sight of the weak man being tossed about. You could barely watch, looking toward the ground instead.

The man turned to Ivar and said something, his warrior answering.

He walked to stand in front of you, asking another question.

Ragnar said something in their language, causing the man from before to nod.

Your eyes drifted back to Ragnar who could barely stand but they kept beating him until he was unconscious.

-

It had been days since you had been separated from the others. You had been locked away in a dark room, your clothes partially ripped and filthy. You hadn't eaten in what felt like weeks and you could only drink once every few days.

You hadn't left the room and the only light that would come in was when the man brought a torch and tried to question you.

You were surprised when a guard led you out of the dungeons and into a large room where Ragnar stood in a cage while Ivar sat at the table with the King.

You flinched at the bright light as they sat you down in a chair beside Ivar.

"Are you two alright?" Ragnar asked in Old Norse.

"I'm fine, Father. Better then you by the looks of it. Astrid, are you alright?" Ivar asked as he grabbed your hand.

He couldn't fully hold you like he wanted. It would be suspicious for why would a prince hug his slave?

Ragnar shoved his plate forward to the best of his ability after seeing how skinny you were and spoke in the Christian language again.

King Ecbert held his plate out for you and Ivar but you refused to eat their food. Ivar sighed as he grabbed a small piece, and ate some but left the rest for you.

"My love, please eat. You need it." Ivar begged as he held the food out for you

You frowned and took it, looking to Ragnar who nodded, saying it was alright.

You and Ivar proceeded to eat as much as you could.

Ecbert said something, pointing to you and Ivar but not addressing you. He instead addressed the guards who grabbed you and Ivar.

"Don't fuck with them, either of you." Ivar said before looking to you. "It'll be alright, darling."

-