12

You rode back into Kiev, angry and tired. People were crying at the sight of the dead and the injured people from the army.

After Oleg addressed his warriors and his people, you sighed and picked up Yrsa.

-

"Ivar! Astrid! Where are you?!" Igor asks as the guards pushed him through the halls of the palace.

"Igor. Don't worry, we're here!" Ivar called, moving as fast as he can to catch up with them.

Igor was locked inside his room for some unknown reason. Two guards remained outside the door as you, Hvitserk and Ivar stared at the scene.

Hvitserk grabbed the both of you, pulling you down the hallway.

-

Riding out of Kiev, you rode alongside your husband's carriage and Hvitserk's own horse and into the woods.

Many men were there, digging what looked like a large ditch.

"Who are these men?" Igor asked

"They are the most important officers in our army." Oleg replied

"Why are they digging a ditch?" The boy asked

"They need to be reminded that they're not as important as they imagine themselves to be. They need to be reminded to be humble." Oleg said

You were shocked as you watched the men be pushed out of the ditch and forced to line up before Oleg. He was going to kill nearly 20 of his best men.

"I don't want to watch." Igor said

You pitied the poor boy and hoped Oleg wouldn't make him but all hope drained when you saw the look in Oleg's eyes.

"You will do as I tell you. These officers betrayed their country. They ran from the battlefield like cowards. I must make an example out of them. They don't deserve to be spared."

Ivar sighed at this as Oleg ordered his men to proceed. Seeing your frown, he pulled you to sit on his lap, hoping that he could help distract you.

The men were viciously slaughtered, their bodies thrown into the ditch they dug.

Only two men survived and tried to run, falling to their knees before Oleg, begging for mercy.

"One day, Igor, this will be your kingdom. Show them what you will do to traitors." Oleg said, handing the teenage boy a sword

"Ivar, stop him." You whispered

"I cannot do anything, Astrid." Ivar quietly replies

You watch as Igor grabs the sword and holds it tightly. 

"Prince Igor, please. I beg you for mercy!" One man said. "In the name of our Holy Mother! My wife and children... I do not deserve to die! Please! Please, don't kill me."

Igor looked to you and Ivar, earning a slow nod from your husband. You watched with a frown as Igor swung the sword.

Igor, with a face covered in blood, watched as Oleg took the sword from him, cleaning the blade with the dead man's clothing.

"Good." Oleg says

The men were buried by guards as you all rode off back to Kiev.

-

"I have to go. I have an appointment with Prince Oleg." Hvitserk says, staring at the man who stood on the balcony

"What for?" You ask