Revenge

"I meant to ask you. Who will be the leader of our great army?" Ivar asked

"Maybe there won't be one leader but many." Ubbe replied

"Father chose to take me to England. Me and Astrid."
Ivar said as he looked to your sleeping form.

"And what is your point, little brother? Hmm?" Ubbe asked

"He told me that he wanted me to learn at first hand something of the Saxon ways. The landscape, the building and defences. He said it would be useful when we returned to avenge him."

"Are you saying that he wanted you to be our leader?" Ubbe asked

Ivar smirked but remained silent altogether.

-

You stood beside Ivar as you watched the wedding between Ubbe and Margrethe. The man had freed her as a slave and she was now his wife. She didn't deserve a good man like Ubbe.

The crowd cheered as the two kissed.

"And now, the bridal race!"

Ubbe and Hvitserk instantly began racing each other, pushing and laughing as they ran around trees.

After completing a series of obstacles, Ubbe won and now Hvitserk had to serve the feast.

-

Helga had learned Arabic to be able to communicate with Tarazun. You sat and listened with a sigh.

"What are you speaking of?"

"How happy we are that we're together. And being alive." Helga answered

"Is her name really Tanaruz?" You asked

"Yes."

"And I think I know what it means. It means the one who brings hope." Helga smiled. "That is what her name means."

"Tanaruz." You called

The girl looked over to you, her face still blank. She still hadn't talked to you yet but it was good that she was starting to adapt.

You showed her the coin in your hands before you made a fist and blew on your hand gently. You then showed her that the coin had disappeared. Snapping, the coin reappeared as you handed it to her. The girl smiled as she took it, inspecting it curiously.

"Are you going with the army?" Helga asked

"Of course, mother." You said. "I have to avenge Ragnar. He loved me. He said so himself. But you should stay here with Tanaruz. You have new responsibilities now, Mama." You tried

"No. We are coming with you and your father."

"Mama-"

"Yes. We are going with you." Helga said. "We're a family and whatever happens, we must be together."

"But the Tanaruz still isn't eating properly." You hissed. "She doesn't seem settled or happy."

"It is you that is not happy, Astrid." Helga said. "Ever since Ragnar and Aslaug died, you have not been the same. What are you feeling? Talk to me, darling."

You looked back to the fire and sighed. "There is nothing to talk about." You said

"Nothing at all?" Helga asked

"Nothing at all." You confirmed.

"It's not difficult, Astrid." Helga said.

"You're right, Mama. But I don't want to talk about it."