The Joke

You sat on the boat, sharpening your sword when you were suddenly pulled back. Laughing, Ivar grabbed your arms to stabilize you from falling.

You groaned, smacking your lover's chest before you began to laugh as well.

"It's time!" Ivar exclaimed. "How I've been impatient. Now I can finally fulfill my promise to the gods, and kill Lagertha."

"Ivar!" You sternly spoke. "You promised we wouldn't kill her!"

"My love, you can't be serious. Of course I'm going to kill her!" Ivar laughed, as if it were obvious.

You chuckled alongside him. He, not seeing you reach over and grab a cup of ale, continued to talk about his excitement until you suddenly splashed the drink in his face. Ivar's smile fell as he sighed, knowing that he deserved it for lying but he soon grew annoyed.

"What was that for?!" He asked as he watched you gather your things

"I'm sailing with Astrid and Harald." You said, jumping back onto the dock, an annoyed Ivar and amused Hvitserk watching.

Astrid sat on her ship, watching you walk closer. After seeing the interaction you had with Ivar, she had made room for you. She helped you load your things before you both sat together.

Neither of you wanted to kill Lagertha. She had good reason. Both of you did.

As all the boats started to move out of Harald's kingdom, Ivar never took his eyes off you. Not once.
He realized his mistake but he was still quite angry.

-

Now, you were on the battlefield. Lagertha, Bjorn, Ubbe and their forces stand on one side while your forces stood on the other.

Blue flags and Yellow flags flew in the wind as you sat upon your horse, standing beside Astrid and Ivar. Bishop Heahmend sat on Ivar's other side.

You first made eye contact with a disappointed Lagertha. Unable to face her, you looked to Ubbe next. He simply stared with no emotion. Same with Halfdan and Bjorn.

It had been many years since you've been to Kattegat. Torvi's oldest son was only a boy when you left. Now he was nearly a man and this was his first official battle.

Snapping out of your thoughts, you glared at Bjorn and Halfdan as they rode forward. They stopped halfway and waited.

Harald looked to you and Ivar. After getting your lover's permission, he and Hvitserk rode forward to talk to them.

Hvitserk and Halfdan switched places and you knew that they were exchanging hostages. Halfdan would be going back to camp with you all.

-

"This is madness." Halfdan said during that rainy day

"Is it?" Harald asked. "You are here where you belong. Don't deny it. Why would you fight for Lagertha or Bjorn? They are not your folk."

"Bjorn saved my life. Isn't that reason enough?" Halfdan asks

"Not really." Ivar spoke up. "We all choose to live a dangerous life. That is part of our way. So I think that you give what happened between you and Bjorn to much importance."

"Family has a greater claim." Harald spoke. "I don't want to fight against you. I don't want to have to kill you. The world would make no sense."

"I suppose none of this makes any sense to him anyway." Halfdan said, glaring at Heahmend.

"He's a great warrior. He doesn't need anything to make sense!" You exclaimed

"By the gods, both you and Ivar are so cynical." Halfdan said