Promises and Forever

Later that night, Draco stopped by at his mother's home. He would visit every other day or so, he decided. Before she die– Draco shook his head. He didn't want to think about such matters. Apparating unto the front lawn since an Anti-Apparation Charm was placed on the whole house; he started striding toward the mansion.

Once Narcissa heard the crack of an apparating person (most likely Draco , she thought) she immediately ran into the shower. Draco had been keeping her bed-ridden for fear of "over exhausting yourself, mother, the Healers said so" and it was driving her crazy.

An active person by nature, she enjoyed shopping almost daily, and to have that taken away from her was terrible. But she thought of a married Draco and consoled herself. So she wore off her extra energy by jogging around the house and subscribing to clothes catalogues. She had been running up and down the stairs when she heard someone – most likely Draco – apparate.

Now the front door was opening and Draco called, "Mother?"

"I'm in the shower, dear, just wait out in the sitting room or something."

After her shower, Narcissa joined her son in the sitting room.

"Tea, mother?" She nodded and Draco poured her a cup of tea.

"Well, how are you?" Draco shrugged.

"The company's doing well. The Firebolt line is branching out and there may be a reconstruction of the Silver Arrows – ". This was not what Narcissa wanted to hear. She wanted news of her son possibly finding a girl!

So she cut him off, "Yes, yes. But your," now how could she phrase this? Yes, his "social life?"

Draco raised his eyebrows. "I, um, signed up for a matchmaking service."

He said uncertainly. Inwardly Narcissa shouted, 'YES YES YES' but she said calmly instead, "Oh really, how is it?"

"To tell you the truth, it's a bit crazy."

"That's what matchmaking is, darling. Did they ask you funny questions?"

"They were queer."

"Draco!" Narcissa reprimanded. "I'm sorry, but they were. They asked me questions like, 'what is your favourite position in bed' and 'do you eat your kippers with yogurt on top'."

_._._._._._._._._

That same night Ginny arrived at the Burrow, and it was chaos, as usual. Nothing to be frightened of. As long as one didn't eat anything Fred and George gave them, because they were testing one of their new products, something to do with shrinking and/or swelling.

Ron and Hermione decided to tell everyone of their engagement after dinner, and everyone clambered into the living room. Bill stood with his arm around Fleur, Charlie stood behind, lounging in the doorway. Molly and Arthur sat on the beat up sofa while Fred and George sat with their girlfriends, Angelina and Katie. Ginny sat next to Harry, who was practically a member of the family. Ron and Hermione stood, holding hands.

Ron started, "I am pleased to tell everyone that –"

Hermione cut him off and excitedly squealed, "We're getting married!" Ron just beamed.

Then they were bombarded by a hoard of red-haired people. Except for two. Molly drew Ginny aside.

"Ginny dear, how is life?"

Ginny was puzzled. Why was her mother suddenly asking her about such things? "Um, fine." She tried to smile.

"Don't you think your taste in clothes is a little conservative?" Molly's eyes were critical. "I mean, you dress like a person expecting to die as an old maid with only her cats for company." This was not said with a light-hearted or teasing tone.

Ginny looked down at her plain white long sleeved blouse buttoned up to her chin, plain black knee length skirt, and plain flat black shoes. And sighed. "Mother," she started, but was cut off by her mother.

Now Molly looked weary. "Ginny, you know it has been almost three years since," she paused and continued hesitantly, "your wedding."

Ginny sighed. "Mum, I don't think I'm ready yet, that's all."

"Ginny you work to match people up. Isn't it a little hypocritical that you don't have anyone?"

Ginny was getting a little annoyed. Pretty soon the infamous Weasley temper would be blasting through. She counted to ten. "No, mum, it's not. He promised me forever. I can't forget anything."

Molly smiled sadly. "Maybe the reason you can't forget anything is because you never let yourself forget." She was thinking of all the pictures and items of clothing Ginny had yet to throw away.

"I know what you're thinking, and it's not going to work. I just can't forget him. I see a strawberry, and I remember when he fed me them. I see couples walking through the park near my flat, and I remember a time when we used to do that. I see the beach, and I remember when he picked me up and threw me in. Can't you see? We had it all and it was destroyed by that one mistake."

Tears were in her eyes now. "I have to leave. Tell Ron and Hermione that I congratulate them and it's not anyone's fault that I have to go right now." She ran out the door before Molly could say anything further.

_._._._._._._._._

She couldn't have known that a piercing green gaze was following her every step.

Harry, while happy for the engaged couple, couldn't help noticing Ginny and her mother talking. There were so many emotions in that lovely face. Pain, devastation, hurt, grief. It was obvious that Ginny didn't want to remember her disastrous wedding. But he remembered.

He remembered Ginny, at the very last minute, deciding to jilt him, and how chaos had erupted around them, Ginny's brothers attacking the groom like a pack of starving dogs upon fresh meat, while Ginny had collapsed in Harry's arms and cried and cried.

Ever since that day, Harry felt protective of Ginny. He didn't want her to get hurt again. He knew that underneath the wall she had put up from that day on, she was entirely vulnerable.

_._._._._._._._

Ginny was at home before she started crying. Through blurry eyes she searched for a worn photo album. Finding it, she flipped through it, looking at the happy pictures of the couple. Some were muggle taken and some were wizarding photos, taken by her friend Colin Creevey.

Why had he done the thing that he did? Was it her fault? What was wrong with her?

There was a knock at her door. She performed a cleaning spell on her face, removing all traces of runaway makeup and tear stains, and answered the door.

"Harry?"

Harry looked uneasy. He shifted his weight from foot to foot. He glanced down at the photo album she still clutched in her hand, knowing what it was and understanding its significance.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I m-mean, not that that you were not okay or anything, but – are you okay?" He finally finished.

"Yeah. I'm fine. My mum was just asking some questions I weren't ready for, that's all." She tried to smile reassuringly.

"Well, okay. But if there's anything I can do –" He stopped when Ginny shook her head hard.

"No."

Harry quickly kissed her cheek, knowing she didn't want to be bothered at the present moment. "Bye." He apparated. Ginny closed the door and leaned against it, just noticing the album she still held. Did Harry notice it? She cradled it to her chest and sunk unto the floor. Why was he so concerned? To have left the Burrow just to see if she was emotionally safe?

She didn't understand anything anymore.