Shall We Dance?

Before heading out, Ginny changed her clothes. When she emerged in a dressy tank top and a black mini-skirt that she had dug out of the depths of her wardrobe, Draco's jaw dropped. Ginny was just surprised that they still fit.

"You look, you look great." Draco managed to say.

She tilted her head but smiled. "Thanks. I suppose I couldn't go to a club in my usual clothes." She shrugged.

Draco and Ginny went to a nightclub called Shock. And it was, to Draco. For once in his life, he didn't have the urge to sneer at something muggle. Not that he did that a lot anymore. He was finding that muggles often had lots of very interesting things. This nightclub was one of them.

There were lots of people waiting in line. Draco and Ginny went to stand in line. Draco was scoffing, "In our world, I would have gone right in. I'm a Malfoy." and acting pretentious when a tall brunette guy came up to Ginny.

"Gin? Is that you?" When she smiled and hugged him, Draco's eyebrows shot up. "Why are you waiting in line? I haven't seen you in years, but you were always my favorite. C'mon let's go."

"I have a friend with me this time, Francis." Francis' eyes traveled over Draco and he grinned approvingly.

"I don't mind. You and your man can come in."

Ginny's protests of Draco not being her man were overridden as she got bustled to the front of the line.

"Who was that?" Draco asked as Francis walked off.

"One of the people who run this place. I used to come here all the time, before...before everything."

"Oh. Are you and Francis close?"

She looked at him skeptically. "Is that another way to ask if I was ever involved with him?" She laughed when Draco opened his mouth to argue. "No, and I can't."

"Because of Seamus?"

"No, because he's gay."

_._._._._._._

They sat at the bar, sipping drinks. Draco was studying how the people danced. It was interesting, at least. They shook their bodies and moved their arms this way and that, tossing their heads back and forth. People danced alone too, which was strange, to Draco. He had seen it at the Yule Ball at Hogwarts in his fourth year, but he never paid much attention to it. Otherwise, the only time he had seen people dance alone was with some of his mother's Irish relatives dancing jigs. Or these people danced together, shaking their hips. Ginny saw what he was looking at.

"That's called grinding." She motioned with her head.

"It looks rather...crude." He couldn't find another word to describe it. "Like they're having sex on the dance floor."

"That's what I said when I first saw people doing it." She laughed. "But it's fun."

Ginny looked free and loose for the first time, laughing like that. It wasn't the alcohol, she hadn't had enough for her to act like this. She looked right at home at the club. "Why haven't you gone to clubs if you love them so much?"

"Seamus, I guess." She found that she couldn't live in the past right now. All she could see was Draco right there in front of her. "He never really liked it."

Draco changed the subject. "So, are you going to show me?"

"No."

"HEY! We had a bargain!"

"I'm going to teach you."

She looked him up and down, and decided that his black collared shirt and pants would do. Then she took his hand and dragged him into the crowed dance floor.