Holding You

The guy took one look at Draco's six foot physique and toned muscles and ran.

"Draco?" Ginny asked blearily.

Forgetting that he always called her Weasley or Weaslette, he said, "Ginny, what are you doing here? It's not safe for you."

"I've got to ...gotta drink away the pain. Hurts so much." She blinked rapidly. "You have very pretty eyes Malfoy."

He ignored the compliment. She was not in her right senses if she was talking about how pretty his eyes were.

"They're so beautiful. Like molten silver. Only with...only with more colours..."

He motioned to the bartender.

"Swirling...the pain...hand cut."

"How many drinks have she has?"

"I don't know," said the bartender, "she does this every single time."

"Every single time?" echoed Draco.

"I was cutting...my finger..." Ginny was saying

"Yeah, comes here once a year, no time else, drinks and her friends have to take her away. Something must have happened on this day. Poor girl."

"Thank you." Turning to Ginny, he told her, "Let's go."

At this point in time she was saying, "The wedding...bridesmaid...slept..."

"What? Ginny?" Ginny is married?

"Draco, just take me away. Away from the pain. The hurt..."

"Alright," he put one arm around her waist, supporting her weight. "Where's your flat?"

"Flat? He left me flat, Malfoy. Left me..."

Draco muttered to himself. "I guess you don't remember. I'll just take you to my flat." He groaned. "I hope your brothers don't find out about this."

He was practically dragging her along the streets, not trusting her ability to hold on to him if he apparated, when he decided that carrying her would be easier. He swept her up in his arms, one arm around her waist and one under her thighs.

She buried her face in his jumper and sighed.

"Malfoy?"

"That's me."

"Just hold me."

Draco was silent. Finally reaching the building where his flat was, he walked up three flights of steps. At this point in time Ginny was fast asleep, exhausted from grief and alcohol.

"Where to put you?" he mused. "I'm too much of a gentleman to let you sleep on the sofa."

He placed her on the bed and turned to leave when he heard a soft voice call, "Malfoy?"

"Yeah?"

"Why?"

"Why help you?"

"Yeah."

"I don't know." That was the truth. "But I have no clue why you're acting this way."

She was drifting off into dreamland again, her eyelids drooping. "That would be because of," and Draco had to crane to hear the last two words, "Seamus Finnigan." Her hand unclasped and a crumpled picture fell out of it.

Draco didn't go to sleep for a long time. He was sitting on the floor, back against the side of his bed. He had taken the picture from Ginny and studied it. In the photo the sandy haired boy was holding Ginny around the waist, their noses touching, eyes on each other. They were enamoured with each other. Seamus Finnigan, the reason for all her sadness and anger? But then he remembered something about five years ago...