My Confession

Ginny was genuinely confused when Harry had asked her to the Ministry ball a week ago.

"Hey Ginny?" Harry said, turning to face her with a strange expression on his face.

"Yeah?" Ginny looked up from the pot she was stirring.

Harry had come over for dinner, attempting, as everyone had that past week, to cheer her up. Though she had to award their attempts, from Fred and George's hilarious rendition of a goblin rebellion from one of Hermione's many editions of Hogwarts, a History, to Ron's constant repetition of 'Are you sure, Gin? I mean, I totally have no problem turning him into a ferret permanently and leaving him to rot somewhere,' it just wasn't helping.

"I um, I just wondered if you would go with me to the ball the Ministry is holding this weekend." Without giving her time to respond, he went on, rambling. "I know you're still sad, but I need a date or Moody will crucify me." He took a deep breath. "You know I usually don't go to these Ministry functions, but it's actually a requirement this time. I didn't know who to take and there really wasn't any time to do so. If I had any choice I really wouldn't want to go. Especially with someone I didn't know well. You know how it is, you take a girl to a ball and suddenly in the papers it says that you're marrying her. But that's why I just–" He drifted off.

Ginny stared at him, her ladle suspended in air. "Harry, don't get your knickers in a twist." She shrugged. "I'll go with you, no problem."

"You will? Thank you, Gin. Here, let me help you with something." He moved into the kitchen and Ginny handed him the breadbasket.

"It's nothing. That's what friends are for, right?" She bustled around; searching for the carrots she had chopped and put somewhere.

She didn't see the fleeting look of overwhelming sadness pass over Harry's face, for when she turned around to smile at him, he was smiling back.

Now, Ginny found herself standing in front of her wardrobe, picking out the gown she had bought that week specifically for the ball. Not one for long make-up routines, she simply threw on the dress and headed for the bathroom.

As she looked blankly at her reflection, smoothing her hair and putting a touch of mascara on, she wondered what Draco was doing. It was strange how they'd never realized that they actually lived in the same building, because for the two weeks that they had been apart, they kept bumping into each other.

Ginny sighed. Did their break up mean anything to him? Did he feel remorse or sadness or even regret? Had he gotten over her already? Did he rush off to find another girl? Was he happily seducing some girl while she sat there, day after day, for more than two weeks, crying her eyes out or throwing fits? How could he have done this to her? There were too many questions.

I'm still here picking up the broken pieces of my life...

Hermione had come back from St. Mungos one day, telling her that Narcissa Malfoy had indeed pretended to be sick, but it was only for Draco, with hopes that he would get married. Ginny had been stunned into silence. If it weren't for Narcissa, would she have ever known Draco? She tried to imagine what would have happened if she had just listened to him that day. Would they have worked past it, growing closer, as they had when Seamus had barged into their lives?

There was no telling what could have been.

_._._._._._._._._

One floor up, in Draco's flat, Blaise frowned skeptically, "He said that to you?"

Draco shrugged the shirt over him. "Yes," he snarled.

Blaise couldn't totally believe that Harry would try to get Ginny so soon. So, he wasn't the greatest at girls, Blaise could distinctly remember several incidences at Hogwarts where the gangly boy tried to ask out some Ravenclaw girl, and kept getting tongue tied. But he was smart, and no sensible guy would try to get a girl who just got out of a serious relationship, if they wanted anything out of it.