Collide

Ginny's next day was just like always. She woke up, took a shower, dressed, ate the customary toast with butter and jam, and left for work. At work, she signed a few papers, performed a few matchmaking charms, met a few clients and drank a few cups of coffee. Just like always.

When it was nearing her lunch break, she called to Grace, "Grace, I'm going out for lunch, just leave any work on my desk, I'll get it when I come back." Grace nodded and she walked out the door, anticipating her lunch at one of the small shops lining Diagon Alley. Just like always.

_._._._._._

Draco left his flat around six in the morning for work. Since he had another meeting with that blasted matchmaking service around noon, he had to start work earlier.

"Morning Mr. Malfoy!"

"Good Morning, sir."

"Your cup of coffee, Mr. Malfoy." These were all customary salutations to the president of the company and he nodded at each person who greeted him. Then...

"Hey! How's it going, mate!" Draco looked up from the contract he was reading as he stepped into his office.

Blaise Zabini was lounging on the very comfortable sofa in the office. Almost too tall for it, his legs hung over one end. Blaise always joked that the sole purpose of the sofa was for Draco's conquests. Draco always laughed, but he never denied it. He knew it was just for him to take naps on.

"It's been alright." Draco made a face.

"The matchmaking, huh." Blaise's tone was resolute. Draco's expressions obviously wanted him to stop talking about it, but Blaise persisted. "Have you met anyone yet?"

Draco shook his head. "No, and today I think they're just going to explain things to me. How it works, and stuff."

Blaise smiled. Even though it had been almost five years since they had left Hogwarts, he was Draco's best friend. Draco had lost touch with Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, mostly because they became Death Eaters and were now in Azkaban.

Blaise stood up and strolled towards the still-open door. "I better be going." Draco just nodded and he left.

Draco was in the middle of supervising some broom crashing tests when he noticed the time. "Oh shit! I'm going to be late." In actuality, he really didn't think whoever he was meeting at Soul Mates would mind that he was five minutes late or so, but he was a businessman now and his etiquette lessons as a young boy demanded punctuality at all times, in all situations. He apparated to Diagon Alley, in front of the brick wall.

At this point in time, Ginny was outside the door and contemplating where she should go. Should she go to the Leaky Cauldron, or should she just meander along the streets of Diagon Alley and see where it took her? She decided to go to the Leaky Cauldron. There was no time to get carried away with window shopping. There was too much work to do today.

Draco was walking briskly toward Soul Mates, looking at the shop signs, rather than where he was going, since he was still unfamiliar with the place. It was one of the newer buildings, after all. He was nearly in front of it when he collided with something. Or rather, it was a someone.

Ginny had turned to the right and suddenly she hit someone. She felt herself falling backwards and instinctively closed her eyes as if she could stop her fall. When she didn't feel the impact of the brick walkway, she opened her eyes again. And saw silver.

Draco immediately closed his arms around the figure when he realized it was a person and not a trash can or a mailbox, preventing his or her fall. As his arms went around the person's waist, he realized it was a girl. Her eyes were shut and her face screwed up, as if she thought she was going to be hit with an Unforgivable Curse. She did almost fall, he reminded himself.