Meeting the Eligibles

Since Draco missed nearly half the meeting, he received a letter on what would happen next. It read as such:

Mr. Draco Malfoy,

You left the meeting early, so I will inform you on what you missed. Make sure you make an appointment by owl on when you would like to start meeting possible partners. Set a date and time. These will probably be a regular time on regular patterns of days. Every day or every other day meetings are recommended. If you find a girl you like and would like to take her out, the regular meetings will cease until you decide to try dating another girl. This is to ensure that you are not dating two girls at once. Thank you for signing up at Soul Mates. Remember, "Wait for the one who will say, 'You're the only one for me, always."

Hannah Abbot, Head of Coordination

_._._._._._._._

Draco decided to make his first meeting on a Friday afternoon. As he walked in, he again saw that flash of red hair as Ginny disappeared around a corner. Why on earth was she here all the time? It was like she lived here. She must be desperate.

He spoke to a witch, who took him to yet another room, this time in a hallway labelled Meetings. He waited there for ten minutes for the first girl to appear. But when none came, he took out the heavy folder containing all the women he would meet. He had been so busy with work that he hadn't had a chance to read through even one of the profiles.

The women were in order from most compatible to least compatible, so he started from the top. He had just glanced at the women's photo and thought, maybe this isn't so bad, when the door opened. A tall, skinny brunette crept inside the room. She immediately sat herself opposite Draco, with the coffee table between them.

With a small 'pop' a flowered tea pot that reminded Draco of a set he'd seen at his grandmother's home, two cups, and a plate of ginger snaps appeared on the table. The girl crossed and uncrossed her legs nervously. There was no doubt she was a beauty, though she hadn't said anything yet.

"Tea?" Draco asked, breaking the ominous silence that stretched between the two. The girl nodded but did not speak. He realized he didn't even know what her name was. "What's your name?"

The girl replied softly, "Mary." And quickly closed her mouth again.

If Draco had to describe his first meeting in one word, he would say it was mundane. If Draco had to describe the first girl he met, he would say she was doll-like. Pretty enough to look at, but easy to be forgotten. For thirty minutes the pair sat in an awkward silence, silence that was only disturbed by the tiny clinks as tea cups were set down in their saucers. Finally a small bell chimed, indicating the end of the session. As Mary left, a pot of ink and a quill appeared to replace the tea and cookies.

At the bottom of Mary's profile was a small box containing the following choices:

Yes

No

I would like to meet her one more time

He quickly checked 'no', as if that possibility would disappear if he didn't check it in the first few seconds. He mentally sighed in relief when that profile disappeared in a small cloud of sparkling dust and a 'poof'. And waited for the next woman.

The next woman couldn't have been more different. She bounded inside the room and sat comfortably in the chair. When the tea appeared, she poured herself a cup before Draco could even offer to do it. Then she started talking.

"I'm so glad you decided to pick a partner. Dating too many girls at one time is not good for you. Hopefully I and you will find many things to talk about."