As Lover Goes

Ginny woke up with a headache the following morning. She remembered the sleepless night full of tossing and turning, waking up when she saw silver eyes. Then she remembered Christmas Day morning all over again. At least when Draco had kissed her.

For the first time in a long time, Ginny couldn't think rationally, all she could do was feel Draco's lips on hers, and the length of his body firm against hers. She vaguely remembered putting her arms around his neck, and his around her waist, then the reality of what she was doing came upon her.

She managed to push her hands against his chest, a very toned chest, to be exact, and away from him. Both were panting and Ginny's face was red. Draco simply stood there, his eyes on her. Ginny opened her mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out. All she could do was shoot a confused look at him.

Then she noticed a bundle of leaves with little red beadlike balls hanging over them. Mistletoe? He had conjured mistletoe so he could kiss her? Was it just an excuse or did he really want to kiss her? Not knowing how to respond or even to ask the many questions running through her head, she ran.

Draco's eyes had followed her gaze upwards. It didn't take a second for Draco to realize what had happened. She could hear his footsteps coming behind her, and she reached her door a second before he could reach out and grab her arm.

Draco pounded on the door. "Ginevra? Let me explain. I didn't just – I wasn't trying to do anything, but you're just so...so everything." He was pleading now, but Ginny didn't heed him.

It wasn't until later in the day when Draco left her door till she started to cry. To just cry herself to sleep for reasons beyond her own comprehension.

Ginny was just so confused. What was he trying to do? Did he actually like her like she liked him? I'm not going to argue against that thought, I do like him. She also couldn't deny that his kiss was wonderful. Even with Seamus, she had never felt that hot, that passionate.

What did it all mean?

_._._._._._._

Draco, after he had left Ginny's doorway, had trudged dejectedly upstairs, only to find himself turning back and walking down again. He didn't even know what had come over him. But he had to admit that he had really wanted to kiss her. He had been, Draco realized, for weeks.

Yet when she ran from him, he could see the utter vulnerability and innocence in her gaze, and above all, the hurt. He hadn't meant to hurt her. He had simply conjured the mistletoe and kissed Ginny. But it isn't that simple, he realized.

Ginny was getting over Seamus, but was she ready for a relationship just yet? Even to Draco, who only wished to love her, whether he knew it or not, felt that time was playing with them, speeding up and slowing down, a vicious cycle of emotions.

He needed some lemon tea and his best friend.

Blaise was surprised when Draco arrived at his door around three in the afternoon demanding tea and a conversation. Blaise knew Draco well enough that it was a good reason nevertheless.

"I think I just had a lapse of insanity." were his first words after he had drunk three full steaming mugs of tea.

Blaise frowned. "This isn't about your mother, is it?"

Draco scoffed. "That would be so much easier." He lowered his voice and said so softly that Blaise could barely hear him. "I shouldn't be feeling this way. I shouldn't but I am. I think I just realized that."

Blaise remembered Draco's insistence on staying in the matchmaking and his reluctance to say anything about a certain Weasley all too well. "This is about that Ginevra girl you're falling for, aren't you?"