10. Worlds Away

Juniper was currently miles in the air, flying through the sky, in an airplane. More precisely, the crown prince's private jet.

He thought the car had been unsettling enough, but he had to admit, the aircraft was more comfortable and spacious. Once they were in the air, the ride was smooth, not jarring like the car over the dirt roads of Kansas. Jun had been placed in an oversized leather seat. He sank in and allowed himself to relish the comfort.

They had boarded the jet in Topeka and were now en route to the capital city of the Black Clan Territory – Chicago. Ian told him the trip wouldn't be long. The distance was too abstract for Juniper, but the large and glamorous city that he had always heard about, seemed like it existed worlds away from his quiet farm.

Willow's school books had at least taught Jun the very basics of geography. After the takeover in the early 20th century, countries had been divided into supernatural-controlled territories.

The former United States of America split into three territories: the East became the Timber Ridge Territory, belonging to a tribe of shifters; the South became the Bauer Territory, controlled by the Bauer Clan of vampires; and the Black Clan owned the rest – the Midwest all the way to the West.

States and cities kept their names, but the human population had been drastically reduced. Many villages, towns, and cities lay empty. Ghost towns dotted the landscape – slowly crumbling remnants of a past long forgotten by humans.

Each territory was its own sovereignty. The various supernaturals set up governing systems of their choosing, and many chose some form of monarchy – like the Black Clan Territory. The royal family ruled absolute, and Isaac Black was to be the next king.

Juniper shuddered as his mind wandered to that man. The crown prince, who thankfully sat away from him, was immersed in work. Jun didn't want to think about him and the intense kiss he experienced only hours ago. A flush tinged the boy's face.

"Are you alright? Is it too hot in here? Shall I adjust the temperature?"

Ian was seated beside him.

"No! No... I'm fine. Thank you, though."

Ian was attentive to Juniper. Of course, the boy now belonged to the prince. It was reasonable that his secretary would take special care of his belongings.

Juniper dwelled on that notion: the prince's belonging...

After breakfast (and the other thing that had happened), they efficiently packed up and traveled by car to Topeka to board the private jet. Jun had plenty of time to mull over being the prince's "thrall," but there was no opportunity to ask and confirm what a thrall really was. Prince Isaac had been busy working on his pad or phone, and Jun had already asked him so many questions. He didn't want to press his luck.

As if Ian read his mind (he didn't think vampires actually had that power), he spoke.

"Prince Isaac has said you haven't had the opportunity to learn as much as other slaves. You may ask me questions if you'd like. He doesn't intend for you to remain ignorant."

With not even a second's worth of hesitancy, Jun's question burst out.

"What is a thrall?"

The boy could hear Ian chuckle next to him.

"Well, first things first. A slave should at least know the basics of proper etiquette."

Jun's face went white. He messed up. It was easy to forget that Ian was a powerful, superior being too, even if Jun had sensed a gentleness in him.

"You will refer to most vampires as 'sir' or 'ma'am.' Royalty is different: the princes are 'Your Highness,' which you seem to know, and the king is 'Your Majesty.' It becomes more complicated when addressing the different noble ranks, but you will learn with time."