Halloween Special [M]

Content Warning: explicit M/M/M sex and blood drinking

This episode is set outside the story's timeline (Fall here, but late Spring in Dark Dominion). It contains nothing essential to the plot, but there is interesting background info on Prince Cormac and his two thralls.

*Samhain is pronounced (sow-in)- sow rhymes with cow.

Amidst the Bonfire's Glow

Mateo sat alone near the blazing bonfire, captivated by the wild dance of flames. Warm light flickered around him. It chased away the preternatural eeriness that always seemed present during that particular night of the year. October 31st- Samhain.

The boy inched as close as he could safely get to the fire, attempting to escape the autumn chill. Admittedly, it wasn't that cold out, but Mateo had grown up in the south, and the love of warmth remained bone-deep.

Every year, his Master insisted on this tradition. A massive bonfire would be set up in a far, remote corner of the palace grounds- a vestige from Cormac's life in 1800s Ireland. The festival marked harvest and the beginning of the dark half of the year. Humans believed that the veil between realms thinned during Samhain. They didn't yet know that a flimsy veil had never restrained the fae, nor could simple bonfires ward them away.

Nevertheless, Cormac loved this night, and he chose to drag his two thralls into the observance, year after year. Mateo had been with him through 40 of them. Emil for 37. They indulged their Master and were rewarded for doing so.

Mateo's anticipation grew. Soon, the two men he deeply loved would join him by the fire.

Prince Cormac was rare in how he treated his thralls- like people. Mateo admired his casual confidence. The prince never felt the need to prove himself, even when his "younger brother" carried favor for the throne.

And Emil was rare in how he treated his companion thrall. They didn't compete for their Master's attention. Instead, they supported one another. Mateo relied on his ever-calming presence and contemplative nature. He often tamed the boy's quick temper. He helped ground him.

Mateo considered himself lucky to have them.

Suddenly, he felt a blanket wrap around him. He already had one, but this blanket was larger, thicker, and warmer. All his favorite things...

"I already had a blanket, you know," Mateo said in a slightly acerbic tone that they both knew he didn't mean.

"It wasn't enough," Emil simply stated as he sat behind him and pulled the boy closer to himself.

Mateo didn't argue because Emil was right, and he melted into the embrace. He leaned his head back against that muscular, broad chest he adored. Emil wore loose-fitting linen pants, but his torso was bare. He didn't seem fazed by the October air.

Mateo, however, was naked under the blankets, just how his men preferred him when alone together.

"Where's Master?" asked Mateo, snuggling into Emil's warmth.

"He's bringing his drink."

There was already a table set up with more refreshments than the three could consume that eve, but of course, Cormac would want his drink of choice. Irish whiskey. If it wasn't wine or blood, the palace didn't bother with it. Fortunately, being a prince had its perks and included a personal stash of the good stuff.

"I'm glad it's not as cold as last year," Mateo said through a shiver.

"We'll warm you up soon," Emil whispered into Mateo's ear, causing his body to shiver in a different way.