40. Means to an End [M]

[Content warnings: contains explicit sexual content and blood drinking. For mature readers only.]

Phoenix stood from the second floor, looking down over the railing to the grand entryway of the palace. From there, he had the perfect vantage point. He could see the hall that led to the below-ground cells, the dungeons. And now he was waiting.

The news of the runaway slave and his paltry punishment spread through the palace like wildfire. The decision not to have him immediately executed could be excused, given the slave's rare and valuable blood, but to only have him whipped caused a scandalous uproar among the vampire nobility. And Phoenix seethed in abject fury.

The punishment was set for sundown, and Phoenix had been waiting at that spot since, hoping to see his master emerge from the hall without the slave. But the gnawing feeling in his gut told him that would not be the case. Phoenix didn't know how, but the little slut had influence over the prince. The untrained country vermin had achieved what no other slave had been able to, and Phoenix did not have enough time to wait for the infatuation to fade. He knew that Isaac was going to sell him off, and it was going to be soon.

Disappointingly, Phoenix did not have to wait long after sundown to see figures emerge from the hall. Isaac walked across the entryway, cradling Juniper in his arms. Though the back of Juniper's clothes was open, the glimpse of skin that Phoenix could see showed no trace of lash marks. Phoenix clenched his fingers on the railing; if he'd had a vampire's strength, he would have crushed the marble into dust.

As Isaac carried the bitch up the staircase, with ever-loyal Ian following behind, Phoenix moved to remain out of sight. They were heading towards the prince's quarters, and Phoenix tailed them, distantly and quietly. He watched as Isaac occasionally glanced down at Juniper and appallingly swept careful touches over his hair and brow. From behind, Phoenix couldn't see the vampire prince's face, and he didn't want to. The possible expressions that his master might be directing towards the slave in his arms would only further enflame the anger coursing within Phoenix.

They made it to Isaac's living quarters, and from down the hall, Phoenix watched the three disappear into Isaac's bedroom. Right then, Phoenix wanted to rage and scream, but he needed to keep his emotions in check. He needed to be calm and think. Although the plan had been executed smoothly, despite having to rely on two idiot grocery deliverers, the outcome only seemed to further cement the prince's odd infatuation with Juniper. And Phoenix was just as in danger of losing his thrall status. Phoenix turned on his heels and started to make his way to another part of the palace. He needed to speak to him.

Aside from the royal family, the sprawling palace was home to a multitude of others. Slaves, of course, but also vampires of many different ranks: nobles, wealthy and powerful higher-ups, and even vampires of servant rank. One such servant vampire had far-reaching access and influence within the palace, and Phoenix paused a moment before knocking on that vampire's bedroom door. The man was a prick, but a useful prick, and Phoenix needed him. Phoenix brought his knuckles to the door and knocked twice.

"Come in," came the chilly, slithery voice.

Phoenix opened the door and entered. The room was spacious and richly furnished, for a servant, and near a wide window, darkened by nighttime, Charles sat in an armchair. Phoenix gave a graceful bow, knowing how to appeal to this vampire's lust for subservience. Then Phoenix rose but was careful to keep his head and eyes lowered.

Charles was as handsome as vampires came. Though none would liken him to the sheer god-like looks of the royal family members, Charles was impressive in his own right – with his classically Western European looks and his age suspended during his body's prime.