28. Rainy Day

Juniper sat outside on his balcony. After two weeks living in the palace, it had been well-established as his favorite place to rest and relax. A gentle rain pattered against the canopy above him. Jun loved it—the fresh scent in the air, the cool breeze pushing through the warm day, and the tranquil calm.

The regular commotion of outdoor activities had been disrupted by the rain. The training grounds, which usually resounded with clanking weapons and all manner of grunts and shouts, were silent. And the groundskeeping slaves, always busy maintaining trim grass and pristine gardens, were enjoying a break.

Thunder rumbled from far out over the lake. Jun suspected that Lynn might call him in soon, but he would reassure her that the storm was headed further east.

Juniper leaned back in the lounge chair, stretching his arms over his head and breathing in the humid summer air. Some papers slipped down from his lap, but they weren't important—only practice sheets of his clumsy attempt at writing letters.

Though this was supposed to be his break time between lessons, Jun wanted to get in some extra practice before Ian's arrival. He had hoped to impress his teacher.

He opened and closed his hand, attempting to relieve the stiffness. He wasn't used to gripping a pencil, and his hand had started to ache. Perhaps he should take a break.

He gazed in the direction of the lake. The winds ushered waves over the shoreline, and rain falling into the water created soothing sounds. As much as he loved the feel of sun on skin, rainy days had to be Jun's favorite—maybe next to clear, starry nights.

He stood and walked to the edge of his little shelter. Outstretching a hand, Jun felt the cool droplets rush over his palm.

He remembered rainy days back in Kansas. The farm work paused, and the little family could spend the day together. They played games, read books, sang songs along to Ash's fiddle, or just sat around and talked. It was simple.

Mother sometimes allowed him to open the back window in the kitchen. He would reach out and feel the rain.

There was a song that he had made up—a little melody about the rain. Jun yearned to sing now. He glanced back through the doorway to his room to make sure Ian hadn't arrived yet, lacking the confidence to sing for others here at the palace. With the coast confirmed clear, he began his song.

Rain, pitter-patter,

Falling from the sky.

Droplets do scatter,

Catch them, we can try./

Water is giving,

Help the wheat fields grow.

A source for the living,

Farmers know it so./

Cooling and quenching,

Dripping on my skin.

Feeling it drenching,

I can't help but grin./

Rumbles of thunder,

From the distance sound.

I will surrender,

To feelings I have found./

The last phrase lingered in Juniper's thoughts as he continued to let the rain gently drizzle over his hand.

"You do have a beautiful voice. His Highness wasn't exaggerating—not that he would ever exaggerate," Ian chuckled, and Jun started at his unexpected presence.