70. Epilogue [End]

One month later

"Juni!" Willow's high-pitched shout carried across the sun-weathered Kansas lawn. Juniper had only just opened the car door when his sister came barreling into him.

"Willow," Jun said, his voice cracking. He hugged her hard. She was so beautiful.

Prince Isaac came around the car as Juniper looked up to see his family.

"My Jun." His mother was next. Willow reluctantly gave room, and at once Juniper felt the familiar warmth of his mother's arms. Her hair, so much like Juniper's, brushed softly against his cheek. He held on tight. There was a time when he thought he'd never feel this again.

She took Juniper's face in her hands, inspecting him as if he were six years old again. "You can see," she said in awe. "And he's feeding you well." She glanced at the prince with no hint of nervousness in the presence of the future king. "He's taking care of you as you deserve?"

"Yes, Mother," Jun laughed.

"Give the rest of us a turn, Anna," came Father's deep voice, the emotion making it rougher than usual.

His father stood tall and broad before Juniper, then he bent and wrapped his son in a bear hug, and it felt oh-so safe and solid.

Juniper's face was a mess of blotchy red and tears at this point, but so were they all.

Juniper found Cypress next, standing beside a petite woman with short strawberry-blonde hair. His arm was around her shoulder, and love shone in his eyes when he looked down at her. She held a hand to the slightest swell of her stomach. Juniper was so happy for them.

Cypress lifted Juniper in a joyful hug, and when he set Jun back down, he gestured to his new partner. "Jun, this is Mabel – Bel – my partner."

She came forward shyly, and Juniper sensed just how much she loved his brother in return.

"I'm so glad to meet you, Bel. Thank you for making my brother happy."

"He makes me happy too," she said softly, a blush coloring her cheeks.

Juniper hugged his new sister tentatively at first until she whispered, "But seeing you again also makes him happy. They missed you so much." They hugged tighter. "You have the kindest family."

He did have the best family, and his sense of completeness grew. Recovering from what Luther had done to him had been no easy thing, but Isaac was there for him. He'd planned this visit and surprised Juniper with the news just that morning.

Everyone turned when another car rolled down the dirt road. It stopped behind Isaac's, the back door popped open, and Ash sprang out with the broadest grin. Ian got out from the other side – he didn't show it, but Jun knew he was nervous and shy.

"Your Highness!" Willow screeched, dousing the words in extra sarcasm. "You deign to grace us peasants with your presence?" Then she leaped into his waiting arms.

Ash swung her around a few turns before joining the rest of the family with Ian pulled into his side.

Juniper looked back over the bare field beyond the farmhouse. It seemed to roll on forever beneath a vast blue sky and radiating sun. The earth was freshly plowed and ready to plant the winter wheat – but his family would not be the ones working it. They were all coming with Juniper to Palace Black, per Isaac's arrangement. And not as slaves either.

Jun turned away from the beautiful view to gaze at a more beautiful one. Isaac in the middle of his bustling family. Joyful faces. Happy tears. And Juniper's heart had never felt so full.

End.

~~~~~~~~~~

Here it issss! The end 🥹 just like I imagined it two years ago when this story began. Thank you for being a part of this, and thank you for reading. ❤️

Read the author's note to find out what's in store next!

» Patreon, Instagram, and Spotify are linked in my profile! ✨