50. Liar

Juniper woke the next morning in his and Isaac's bed. He stretched and sat up. Then he saw his prince walking in from the balcony, perfectly framed in golden sunlight. It was unusual that he was still there, but Juniper found he was quite okay with that.

"I was just about to wake you. I wanted to ensure you ate before the meeting this morning."

"Meeting? One I will attend as well?"

Isaac grabbed the folded robe on the bedside table and waited for Juniper to rise. "Yes, it's meant to be a casual greeting with King Luther. Thralls usually accompany such things. He'll likely have Phoenix with him."

Juniper stood, and Isaac draped the robe over his skin, the slide of silk and Isaac's nearness causing gooseflesh to rise.

Isaac's hand slid to the small of Juniper's back, and he led him outside. Birdsong filled the air and clouds floated by on the lake breeze. The little table was already set, and the two sat.

Isaac poured Juniper a glass of orange juice while Juniper grabbed the fresh-made scones and sweet red jam. Isaac's plate sat empty, and he began tapping away at his pad. A crease formed between his brows, a look of consternation if Juniper had ever seen one.

Juniper opened himself to Isaac's emotions. He tried not to do it so much anymore. Now that he could not, he felt he shouldn't. People probably preferred to keep their emotions to themselves. But Juniper was concerned for his prince, so he let himself feel.

Anger, mostly, and a bit of stress. None of it directed at Juniper, though. He reached out and touched where Isaac held his pad. Isaac started at the unexpected touch, then put his pad down on the table.

"I love you," Juniper said simply, and smiled.

And just like that, the anger and stress vanished like dark clouds opening up for the sun.

"And I you, sweet boy."

They ate their breakfast together in comfortable companionship. Juniper placed a blackberry and lemon scone on Isaac's plate, then continued eating his own – Lynn's friend was the palace head baker, and she was the best.

He tried not to dwell on what lay ahead. He wasn't looking forward to the meeting with Luther, but he was confident that Isaac wouldn't let anything happen to him.

When they finished their meal, Lynn arrived to dress Juniper for the day. Isaac's valet too – a servant-ranked vampire named Jack, who performed his job meticulously with skill and pride. And Ian let himself in the room when they were nearly ready, relaying the day's packed schedule to Isaac.

Juniper and Isaac looked at each other, the same expressions of appreciation for the other's appearance. Lynn had dressed Juniper in a loose tunic of smokey lavender, a pretty iridescent sheen to the fabric, and soft silver leggings. And Prince Isaac looked his dashing self in an impeccable suit, this time a medium gray with a sharp black tie.

Juniper tilted his head up, and Isaac bent to kiss him. For a brief moment, before they had to walk out the door and face down the world, they basked in the firm press of lips and fleeting heat.

* * *

Ian opened the double doors to a room that was more window than wall. Located in the palace's northeast corner, the room offered a view of both the forest beyond the estate boundary and the lake. The early morning hours had passed, so the sun wasn't blindingly beaming in but still provided soft, warm light.

Juniper had been in the room before when Isaac met with guests there, and he loved the cross-breeze and freshness: an inside space that brought the outside in. Too bad the room wasn't free access for thralls. Jun's shoulders slumped, disappointed when he saw all the windows shut tight. But the temperature was climbing, and Jun had discovered most people preferred "air conditioning" to the feel of nature.