29. Potential

[Content warnings: contains abuse – physical and verbal. For mature readers only. Please read at your own discretion.]

The small office was quiet, save for the ticking of an analog clock and the occasional shuffle of papers. Ian sat at his desk, and before him, stacks of files waited to be sifted through. Each contained information on all potentials training at the palace, ordered by date of arrival.

Methodical and focused, Ian read through each one, separating them into tidy piles of "no's" and "maybe's." The latter was a much smaller pile.

Ian still couldn't grasp that His Highness had trusted this task to him. Any of these humans could be a future king, and he had to narrow down the list.

As time ticked away, the information started merging together. All of these potentials were physically impressive and intelligent. The included pictures showed each to possess remarkable beauty as well. Vampires, such vain creatures – Ian nearly rolled his eyes.

If any of them stood out, Ian placed their file in the stack to be sent to Prince Isaac. Those who had already been training awhile had the advantage, and the further down Ian got, the less likely they would be chosen.

Still, Ian was diligent and carefully scrutinized each one until he finally came to the last.

He flipped open the folder.

Raven hair and eyes blue as the deepest ocean depths. Ian knew that face, without having to look at his name or family number. This human was unforgettably handsome.

Ash of family #20902.

Juniper's younger brother.

Ian sat stunned for a moment, the coincidences too fantastical to process. He shouldn't have been so surprised, as he recalled the first time seeing him in the living room of that Kansas farmhouse. Even bound and kneeling, the young man stood out. Ian had noticed him right away.

A faint blush rose to his face.

He shook himself, determined to give this potential the same critical analysis he had given all the others. And at the end of his evaluation, he placed the file in the deserving stack.

***

The rain drizzling atop the canopy, halted laughter, stunned silence – and Ash.

He started towards them, intense eyes looking right past Ian and locking on to Juniper. Ian couldn't help but stare as Ash approached – like a rising storm, charged and treacherous – already so much like a vampire. That picture had done little justice to the young man in flesh.

Ian's breath hitched, and he backed away from Juniper.

He watched the brothers collide in an embrace, holding tight and trembling. As if, at any moment, they would be torn apart again.

Ash softened in Juniper's arms, and tears fell from both. Ian looked away, not wanting to intrude on this moment. He almost cried too, witnessing Juniper reunite with family. He must be so happy.

Juniper pulled away first and wiped his eyes. He looked up into Ash's face, seeing his brother for the first time.

"Ash? It's really you? You're really here?" The boy reached up and placed his hand on a prominent cheekbone. He traced the shape of Ash's face, allowing his eyes to take in the image.

Ash gazed back with watery eyes.

"He told me...the prince. He said that you can see now?"

Ash had already met with the prince? Ian knew that he was due to arrive at the palace that day. He had meticulously planned it two days ago after Prince Isaac made his choice.