55. Strong [M]

[A/N: Extra long chapter today! Enjoy!]

Ian stood beside the window of the high hospital room. Traffic moved far below, but the noise couldn't reach them through the thick glass. Juniper was likely disappointed that the windows couldn't open. Across the room, Juniper lay in his bed, Prince Isaac standing on one side and Ash sitting in a chair on the other.

The relief on Ash's face was a far cry from how he'd been during the drive down. Tense and worried, he'd likely had the words, I told you so on the tip of his tongue. And Ian couldn't blame him; Ash had been right about Phoenix.

Ian would admit to his own relief. Juniper was recovering quickly. He was full of life again as he talked and laughed with his brother. It had been a week since... the incident. Juniper no longer needed to be hooked up to the IV and machines, and his blood rating was up to 84 as of that morning. Not that Prince Isaac cared about that.

"Sir Ian?" Juniper softly called.

Ian stepped forward. "Yes, Juniper?"

Juniper sent a gleaming smile to Ian, and Ian's chest ached at how close the world had been to losing that smile forever.

"Doctor said I need to stay here a bit longer. I was wondering, if you visit again, can you bring some books for me?"

Ian reached into the satchel he carried over his shoulder and pulled out three books. "Already done. We can't have you forgetting all your lessons."

"Thank you, sir!"

Though the color was back in Juniper's cheeks, and his eyes had regained their brilliance, he still looked tired.

"You're welcome. And we will visit again, as often as you wish." Ian turned to Ash. "Perhaps it's time to go and let Juniper rest."

Ash stood up, laying a hand on Juniper's shoulder. "See you later, big bro."

Ian couldn't help watching them. The care in Ash's expression. He was a protector, despite being the younger one. Longing panged within Ian whenever he saw the brothers together, and he didn't understand it, nor did he need it. He pushed the feelings away and startled when he noticed Juniper's gaze on him. Sometimes, that boy looked as if he knew everything Ian locked away inside, and understood it better than Ian himself.

Ian cleared his throat and clutched his bag. "Goodbye, Juniper. Your Highness."

The trip back to the palace would take about an hour. And with Ash no longer stewing, anxious and angry about Juniper, the limousine ride home was proving to be much more awkward. Ian tried to focus on his pad but was all too aware of Ash sitting across from him, relaxed in his seat, his lips drawn in an easy smile. Ian remembered those lips. He remembered the feel of them pressed against his own, firm and hot.

And Ian remembered those lips forming ridiculous words... "Because I like you."

Ian shoved the pad back into his bag.

"You were right," Ian said suddenly. "About Phoenix. I'm sorry we didn't see it in time." His words brought the tension back to Ash. He no longer smiled, and Ian could breathe again. Anger was easier to bear than affection.

"What matters now is Juniper is safe, and that fucker is dead."

"Right," Ian agreed. But a waver of his doubt seeped into his voice, and dammit, Ash was quick to catch on.

Ash eyed him, and Ian struggled to keep his face neutral. How could it be easy in front of fearsome vampires but so difficult in this young man's presence?

"What are you not saying, Ian?" Ash demanded. Ian should have rebuked him for the casual use of his name – never mind the warmth it gave him.

"It's likely that someone else was behind Phoenix's actions, or at least helped him. Silvervain would have been difficult for him to acquire on his own. And his death... may not have been suicide."