12. The Baths

[Content warnings: nudity]

Lynn took Juniper through a labyrinth of hallways, staircases, and rooms. It seemed they would walk endlessly, going every which way. Even if he had the aid of sight, Jun didn't think he could get his bearings in the massive palace.

They were quiet as they walked. The pair didn't exchange words, but Lynn's hand felt comforting to Jun. His mind couldn't come up with questions even though he knew he had a lot of them. Perhaps Lynn understood. She didn't try to coax anything out of the boy. She simply offered him a gentle and soothing touch.

Finally, they stopped at a door, behind which was Juniper's new room. He knew it would be nothing like the small, chill, dark cellar he had occupied his whole life. Lynn opened the door.

"This will be your room," she said while tugging Juniper inside. "It is part of His Highness's living quarters."

She slowly guided him around the room, showing him the arrangement of furniture. He touched things, allowing his mind to map out and catalog his new surroundings.

Juniper noted the spaciousness of the room as he ventured around. A rather sizeable bed took up a good portion of the far wall. Four wooden posts rose high, supporting a frame from which sheer drapes could enclose the bed. On either side of the ornate headboard, delicate glass lamps rested atop matching side tables. The comforter felt thick and cozy when Jun smoothed his hands over it. He came to the head of the bed and noticed the plethora of poofy pillows. Juniper smiled – he liked having lots of pillows at home too.

One corner of the room had two oversized armchairs next to a tall bookcase. Jun brushed his fingers along the spines of the books. He wondered if someone would be willing to read to him here, like Willow used to...

In another part of the room was a small, round dining table with two chairs, dinner already waiting there for him.

"There is a balcony out this way... a closet through this door... and over here is an ensuite. Though, most of your cleansing routines will be done in the thralls' baths. Come," she said, grabbing his hand. "Let's get some food in you."

She sat down with Juniper at the table and dished food onto a plate for him. There were tender bites of meats, warm bread, and fresh vegetables. Juniper appreciated the simpleness, and it was quite good. As he ate, a question finally struck him.

"Do vampires have more than one thrall?"

"Many do. Some only have one," Lynn replied matter-of-factly.

"Does Prince Isaac have other thralls?" Jun asked, a bit timidly.

"He currently has one other. There have been more in the past, but he has since released them."

Prince Isaac already had a thrall? When he thought about it, it made sense. The prince had probably been alive for quite a while – of course, Jun wouldn't be his first.

It was the other thing she said that caught him off-guard.

"What... what does it mean, t-to be released?"

"Well, I'm not exactly sure how it works... there is some sort of anti-venom, but a vampire can make a thrall into a regular human again, aging and all. I do know that it's quite painful..."

Lynn's voice faded away at the end of her explanation.

Juniper's thoughts reeled, flashing chaotically across his mind. Why were they released? Would Prince Isaac eventually release him too? Does he feel bad about the possibility... or is that a good thing? Does he want to live for hundreds of years with the vampire, but if he is released... does that mean he wasn't good enough? Would he be useless, again?