35. Friends.

Juniper lay on the grass. It was early summer grass, verdant green and lush. He brushed a hand over the soft blades and sighed.

"That was a sound of contentment if I've ever heard one." Ash lay there too, so close that their hair slightly touched. He was absently feeling the new collar he'd been given, a black one, for potentials. They'd been lying there together for a while, soaking in each other's presence, affirming that it was real. It was only a few days ago when Ash had arrived, and Juniper was surprised, but so happy, that they could see each other again this soon.

"Yes, I suppose so," Jun said. He turned his head to see his brother's profile. Ash was looking up, perhaps watching the billowy clouds breeze across the sky. "Do you think that's bad? Feeling that way? Like... like I'm betraying them..."

Ash turned and met his gaze, levelly. Juniper braced himself for an honest answer. Ash was always honest.

"No, Jun. They would be relieved – happy if they knew, if they could see you how you are, right now."

And Juniper believed him, and it was such a relief. He let out a long exhale as tears welled up in his eyes. He had needed that. In a way, it felt like he'd been granted forgiveness, and he could breathe easier now, without the weight of guilt bearing down on him.

"Please, talk about them." Jun forced a steady voice. "How's planting? Did the tractor get fixed? You-you weren't punished too badly? Is Willow okay? Any good storms while I was gone? Mother, I miss her. What fruits are at the market? Is Cypress getting anxious about meeting his partner? I bet he's doing his best not to show it. Is Father taking enough breaks? He never complains when his back starts hurting..." The questions tumbled out of Juniper, who was aware that some didn't really matter. He just wanted to hear about his family, anything at all.

"Jun, shhh, it's okay." Ash rolled to his side, elbow on the ground and head propped up. He took one of Juniper's hands and squeezed. "And no, the punishment wasn't so bad. We had expected execution or hundreds of lashings, at the very least, but then it was Ian—"

"Sir Ian."

"Sir Ian," Ash repeated with a smirk. "It was Sir Ian who came and told us you were going to be alright. The prince would make you a thrall, and you would live a long life at the palace, taken care of, he'd said. He assured us you would be treated well. And shit, I'd never seen a vampire with that much sincerity. We believed Ian—"

"Sir Ian."

"Okay, that's going to get annoying – we believed Sir Ian. We missed you like crazy, but we were so relieved you wouldn't be killed or auctioned off. We ended up getting ten lashes each, and Willow was so brave, she didn't cry a single tear."

But Juniper was crying then, small sniffles he tried to keep to himself. Ash shared an easy smile with him, one filled with reassurance and comfort.

"And Cypress's partner arrived a week before my birthday. She's so going to be pregnant before the end of the year..."

"Ash!" Juniper sat up, his tears forgotten, and pushed his brother's arm for the crass remark.

"You could tell, couldn't you," Ash said, lying on his back again. "He tried to hide it, given how scared we all were about her finding out about you, but he's a simple country boy to the core. Pairing up, having babies, working and growing old among the wheat... he always wanted that."

"Is she nice?" Jun asked, and yes, he'd known. He had always felt guilty that he was the reason Cypress couldn't fully look forward to meeting his partner. And an ache settled in his heart that he couldn't see them together. Or any nieces and nephews he might someday have...