30. A Piece of Home

Juniper watched his brother's face as he watched Ian. Ash's eyes focused on the vampire as he left through the glass doors, and his lips formed a smile. One Juniper knew to be rooted in mischief. Though he wasn't familiar with Ash's expressions, he always intended mischief.

It made Jun worry for them both.

"Ash," he said, pulling his brother's attention. "You have to behave here, please."

One misstep and Ash could be taken from him. Now that Jun had him, he couldn't bear that thought.

Ash ruffled those rich brown and incredibly soft curls, but the playfulness had left his face.

"I will, Jun. I promise to keep you safe."

Juniper moved forward into Ash's chest, indulging in another hug. With all his strength, he held tight as more tears ran down his cheeks. Ash encircled his strong arms around him, and Jun felt so secure. So loved.

A long moment passed before Juniper pulled away. Ash reluctantly let him. The older brother took the younger by the hand and silently led him to the chairs. He sat Ash down and then brought another chair to sit close.

Jun took his hand again.

"Tell me everything. How are you here?"

"My blood test."

Amid everything that had happened – how life had changed so drastically and so abruptly – he had forgotten about Ash's impending birthday and 18-year blood test.

"I'm a potential, Jun. And the prince, he's considering me."

During his time here at the palace, Jun had learned about potentials. They trained hard and relentlessly. He could even watch them from his balcony. The hope was that a vampire from a good bloodline would choose them. And the most powerful vampire from the very best bloodline in the territory might choose his little brother.

Juniper looked at Ash. He towered above him, despite being younger, and farm life had developed his muscles naturally. But more than his physique, Ash had a commanding presence in spite of his carefree facade. Jun knew that Ash had always been more serious and observant than he let on.

It hit him – Ash could be the next prince. He could be the next heir to the Black Territory.

"What I said to that vampire... Ian– "

"Sir Ian," Jun reminded. Ash snickered.

"Right... what I said to Sir Ian was true. I'll train hard. The prince will turn me. Then someday, I'll be in charge." Ash squeezed Jun's hand as the excitement rose in his voice. "I'm going to change things, Jun."

Juniper grinned, caught up in Ash's words and resolve.

"I believe you." Then Jun narrowed his eyes, looking as intimidating as he was capable. "But if you get yourself killed, I'll hate you forever."

Ash raised his hands in mock surrender. "Oh, well, we can't have that!"

They both burst into laughter. And Jun felt transported through miles and miles to his home in Kansas, to easy days and familial comforts.

The laughter slowly faded.

"How are they?" He almost couldn't get the question out. "Did- did you get to say goodbye?"

"I did. I told them that I would find you."

Juniper felt an ache in his chest. They had already lost him, and now they lost Ash.

"You still wear your heart on your sleeve." Ash nudged his arm. "We all worried about you being alone here. I think, in a way, they were relieved about my test results."