57. Parallels

^ Map of the territories (of the former United States)

Juniper looked away from Echo, his fears now confirmed. He moved to sit up, and Echo helped him. Maybe he should have pushed away from Echo, refused his help, but Jun couldn't hold a grudge in his heart against the thrall. It was apparent his part in Juniper's abduction was forced, and he seemed determined to protect Juniper in the small ways he could. If Echo were not there, the vampires would be doing terrible things to him the moment he'd woken.

Juniper tried not to think about the terrible things King Luther would have in store for him. From those, he doubted Echo could shield him.

Jun leaned against the metal wall of the cargo van, the simple movement taking more effort out of him than it should have - the aftereffects of the drug, he surmised. His shoulder pressed against Echo's. And Echo sat rigid and tense, perhaps bracing himself for Juniper's anger and blame.

"How long have I been out of it?" Jun softly asked. The vampires resumed ignoring the humans, once they realized they couldn't have their "fun."

"About four hours. We're downstate and heading for the Missouri border - that should take another four hours on these back roads."

"And after that?" Jun asked, thankful for Echo's forthrightness.

"From the Missouri border, it will take about two hours to reach Arkansas. Then we will be on Bauer lands. We'll catch a private jet in Jonesboro to get us the rest of the way to Houston."

"Should you be telling him all that?" one of the vampires said, apparently not completely ignoring them.

"What's he going to do? Escape from you vamps and hitch a ride back to Chicago?"

The vampire grumbled and turned away from them once more. Jun thought Echo's master must hold considerable influence for these vampires to tolerate a slave speaking as Echo was.

"Thank you," Juniper said.

"Oh, Jun. I have done nothing to earn your gratitude."

"I know what they would've done to me if you hadn't stopped them."

"There's far worse coming, and I can't protect you from that."

"From the king," Juniper said.

Echo nodded. He stared ahead, his emotions mired in bitter powerlessness.

Juniper slowly reached for his neck, his hand trembling when it did not feel the familiar smooth collar. It had been removed. Jun brushed over the marred skin of his thrall mark, his bond with Isaac. What would King Luther do with him? He wouldn't ask Echo, as he was too afraid of the answer.

Juniper looked through the tiny window, where all he could see was a sliver of sky. It had been mid-morning when Echo had come to him in the hospital courtyard, and they'd been traveling from Chicago for four hours. The sky was the flawless cerulean of a summer afternoon, with not a cloud in sight. According to Echo, they would cross into the Bauer Territory in roughly six hours.

His hand dropped to the floor and found Echo's hand. Jun clasped it. "I'm scared," he whispered.

Echo turned to him, squeezing his hand. "You won't be alone in the palace, Jun. I'll be there, and my friend Ollie. Master Dante has assured me that we will be able to see you. I may hate him, but he doesn't lie."

Juniper breathed. This was a small comfort he would grasp.

"Ollie?" he asked.

A tiny smile tugged at the corner of Echo's lips. "He's another thrall at the palace. His vampire is Prince Abram, King Luther's brother. Ollie's very kind - you two are alike in that. He helped me a lot when I was first brought to the palace."