13. A Tense Meeting

^ Illustration of Jun by artist J.Soulless!

Lynn ruffled through the closet as Juniper sat on his new bed – admittedly, the most comfortable bed he had ever felt.

"We have some basic clothes for you, but the tailor will be summoned soon to give you a proper wardrobe," she bellowed out from inside the closet.

Jun currently wore a light robe from the baths. The attendants had made sure to dry him, but he still felt so cold; it seemed the unnatural chilled air was standard. He shivered, but that also could have been from the thoughts of his recent exchange with the boy called Phoenix.

He had given off an aura of superiority and pride, but Jun also felt an emotion that no one had ever directed at him before – jealousy.

"Was that boy Prince Isaac's other thrall?"

"Yes, Phoenix has been His Highness's thrall for two years."

Lynn emerged from the closet and joined Juniper on the bed. She had a bundle of clothes in her arms.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do anything when he touched you like that. He has a higher status than I do... so do you, for that matter."

"I do?"

Lynn chuckled, the sound easing his tension a little. Then, she patted his head. The boy wondered what was so compelling about his hair. Though he didn't mind, they were the kind of touches he craved.

"Yes, you do. Thralls have the highest status of any slave... next to potentials."

"Potentials?"

"They are humans who may be turned into vampires. I think certain markers need to show up in their blood, and they need to have the right physical attributes. Most vampires want to sire the big and strong types." Lynn got up and moved to another area of the room.

"I think that's why most vampires are male – doesn't seem fair to me..." She muttered that last part under her breath.

"Come, Juniper. Let's get you properly dressed."

"You can call me Jun, if you want... I would like that..." he said as he walked over to where the sound of Lynn's voice was. He missed being called Jun, and if someone kind, like Lynn, used the name his family always called him – it would be nice.

"Alright, Jun. It's cute. It certainly fits you." He could detect the smile in her voice.

At Lynn's instruction, the boy took off his thin bathrobe. She first gave him light gray pants to slip into. They fit snug against his legs, but the material was pliable and soft. She then draped a new robe over his shoulders, though it differed from the bathrobe.

It was oversized with flowing sleeves and dyed in gradient blues, going from dark navy to light aqua. The fabric was luxurious, breathable but still warm. It wrapped around his torso and tied at the side.

"His Highness requested these colors on you, probably to match your gorgeous eyes." Lynn gave a light-hearted chuckle as the boy blushed.

Jun had wondered about what he would wear in the palace, and he found he quite liked these clothes. They were comfortable as they covered him, and they kept the chill out. The material felt smooth against his newly hairless skin.

After his soak in the baths, the attendants had applied all kinds of lotions and oils over his body, making his skin feel velvety. Now, Lynn began to fuss with his hair. She untangled it but left it how it usually was – a bit unkempt.