56. Sorry

Juniper closed his eyes, lifted his face to catch the sun, and breathed in the thick summer air. Though mid-July felt far from refreshing, Jun cherished every inhalation. He was alive and finally allowed to go outside.

The hospital had a nicely-kept little courtyard, perfect for staff breaks and patients needing to stretch their legs. Though currently, only Juniper could use the courtyard – as his squadron of guards had created an impenetrable barrier around the area. Isaac had gone, very reluctantly, to work on princely things, but he'd installed a full security force to monitor Juniper's every move.

It seemed a bit excessive to Jun, as Phoenix was dead. But Juniper had an inkling that Isaac wasn't telling him everything, because worry persisted within Isaac. He couldn't hide that from Juniper, and now Isaac knew it...

An empath, Isaac had called him.

Juniper sat on a wooden bench, and the city buzzed around him. Over a million people – approximately 1.57 million, according to Jun's pad – supernaturals and slaves, went about their lives in that city. Each individual with their own hopes and burdens, and if Juniper chose, he could be privy to that which lay deepest in any one of their hearts.

And if there was a designated name for Juniper's ability, then it must mean he wasn't the only empath in the world. He'd often wondered if Ash possessed at least a little of the ability himself.

Juniper hadn't intended to tell Isaac in the way he had. But his mind had felt like mush after he woke. Now, with full cognizance restored, Juniper was relieved that Isaac knew – that he'd believed him and accepted it. And he'd been aware of King Luther's deceit. Juniper decided that he would do all within his power to help his prince.

Juniper looked around at the buildings surrounding him, stretching towards the sky as if trying to pierce the clouds. Was Chicago very different from Houston? What were King Luther's intentions? Why lie? What was he doing with the stolen slaves? Was the Black Territory in danger? Was Isaac in danger?

The questions chased themselves around Juniper's head. And upon recalling King Luther's disdain for free humans, Juniper shivered despite the swelteringly hot day. Luther believed such freedom was a threat. What would he do in the name of his convictions?

Juniper thought of Echo, who lived in the throes of King Luther. Echo carried secrets, dangerous ones. Juniper hoped his friend stayed safe.

When Jun turned his head and saw Echo, he thought his mind had gone back to its post-comatose state. Juniper furrowed his brow in absolute confusion. If it really was Echo and not an illusion, he was striding towards Juniper in that flawlessly graceful way of his, dressed in all slim-fitting black. The guards turned their heads and watched Echo enter the courtyard, allowing his approach. Well, if the guards saw him, then Juniper could at least be relieved he hadn't gone crazy.

Juniper shot out of the bench, confusion and surprise etched in every feature of his face. "Echo?" he uttered. Reasons trying to rationalize why he was there flitted across his thoughts. Had Echo heard about the incident and come to visit? Lord Dante allowed him? Or were he and Dante in the city on business? Hadn't they left with the rest of the Bauer court?

Echo stopped right in front of Juniper. He smiled, but it didn't reach his gray eyes. Those eyes, which had always been keen and sharp, now looked sad... and regretful.

The back of Jun's neck prickled, and feelings he didn't want to acknowledge flooded into him. Feelings from Echo, confirming the look in his gaze. Echo was sad and full of regret.

Juniper flashed a quick look at his guards, and all of them, eight vampires in total, were watching. But it was far from reassuring. They were all too far away for Juniper to read their intentions, but their readied stances didn't look poised to protect.