Chapter 3

Josie's POV
Landon kept following me around, I don't know why but I don't ask questions. I ran up to Cleo and give her Landon's phone that has the recording. She listens to it and she seems surprised. We see Hope walking around with Sebastian and I feel sick to my stomach. I see Penelope walk up to us and I turn and give her my full attention when Hope is watching.

P: So what are we doing tonight?
J: Stay in and watching a movie. I hope that's okay?
P: Yeah of course. That is perfectly fine.
J: Okay thank you.

I give her a quick peck. I didn't even try to go for a cheek kiss or anything. It seemed to be working and I walk off to my next class. I feel somebody following me from behind so I walk to the bathrooms. I lock myself inside a stall and climb up on the toilets. I see somebody walking inside so I unlocked the stall and pushed the person up against a wall. It was Hope. Hope gives me a small smirk and I back away.

H: Nice one.
J: Thanks for following me but now I gotta go to class.
H: How'd you know I was following you?
J: A gut instinct.
H: I have another question.

I cross my arms and Hope walks a bit closer to me. I back up into the wall and she was closer now. I walk around her and she turns to face me.

J: What's your question?
H: Why'd you kiss Penelope on the lips today? Especially when I was looking.
J: Is that really what you're concerned with?
H: Not really.
J: Then what are you concerned with?
H: A lot of things. Why'd you get Landon to record my conversation with him?
J: I just wanted to see why you were avoiding me.
H: Seems a little stalkerish, don't ya think?

I roll my eyes and turn around to walk away. I feel a hand hold onto my hand. I turn around and expected Hope to drop my hand but she doesn't. She holds onto it.

H: Let me explain why I did it.
J: Maybe later, I have to get to class.

I walk off and have my hand on the door. She pulled me back into her and pins me up against a wall.

H: Let me explain and then you can hate me.
J: Why should I let you explain anything to me when you've literally ignored me for almost the whole day. Why did you go all quiet when you left the closet? It was like I wasn't even there Hope.
H: Josie you were there. I did what I had to do to keep you safe.
J: Keep me safe? Really? I don't need you to protect me Hope.
H: Just let me explain, please.

Hope's eyes give all her emotions away. I can tell she feels guilty, sad and just angry. Probably at herself for agreeing to date Sebastian. She backs up and I stand there.

J: Explain then.
H: I agreed to date him or pretend to date him so that he wouldn't lie about what actually happened in the closet earlier. He said he'd make up some rumor that only him and everyone else would agree. I couldn't let that happen to you so I decided to fake date him into keeping you safe. I didn't expect it to hurt you this much and make you seem so angry at me.
J: Mhm.
H: That's it?
J: What else do you want me to say Hope? That I'm sorry for you? That I'm gonna stop you from doing whatever you want? You do whatever you want, it's not like my opinion would matter anyway.
H: It matters to me Jo.
J: Then why'd you leave me there standing in a classroom alone? Earlier I mean.
H: I had to find Sebastian to make things right.
J: So fake dating some quarterback seems right to you?
H: In the moment it did.
J: Right. I should really get going now.
H: Don't, please.

I feel bad, I shouldn't leave but for all I know Sebastian could be looking for her. Penelope could also be looking for me. I'd be missing another class and for what?

J: Why?
H: I need your help to change his mind about everything.
J: He won't listen to me.
H: He listened when you told him to go to the principals office.
J: Okay, I'll try but you owe me.
H: Okay, I'll owe you after this whole thing is over with.