Prologue

~

Rubbing your tired eyes, you scanned the hard-covered Maths book in front of you.

Your fingers delicately traced the words inked onto the pages, before turning to the next page.

You jolted from your seat, hearing the door creak open behind you. There, stood your mother with a warm smile.

"Y/N, dear. It's time for dinner." She spoke, her voice in a hushed tone.

A long sigh escaped your lips. "Alright, Mom. I'll be down in a sec." You assured her, returning the warm smile she gave you.

With a slight nod, she carefully closed the door. Once her footsteps ceased, you mumbled under your breath.

Things had always been like this for you. Every day was a strictly set routine to ensure you did the best you could- academically,  that is. Sports wasn't entirely your strong suit.

Every day, you'd get up, get ready for school, leave for school, put on a fake facade to entertain your so-called 'friends', leave school, study, go to sleep. It's been like this for as long as you can remember.

You weren't allowed to go anywhere by yourself.

Of course, it's not like you wanted to go anywhere. Crowds overwhelmed you. You'd prefer to be left alone most of the time, like the true introvert you were.

Boundaries were set around you because of the nosy, gossipy people at your school, which would come as a surprise- because you were one of the famous people in school.

Why, you may ask? Well, your parents are filthy rich- so it's obvious at what they're playing at.

'If you don't have friends, you're a freak.' Is what they say at our school. It's the only reason you put up with anyone there.

Laughing at their stupid jokes, prancing around the school like the self-absorbed drama queens they are. Oh, how you just wanted to strangle the living hell out of them and watch them suffoca-

"Honey! You're food's getting cold!" Your mother shouted from downstairs.

You scurried away from your desk, realizing you were daydreaming. "S-sorry! I'm coming!" You shouted, getting up and fixing your hair into a neat ponytail.

You hurried downstairs, to a slightly annoyed sister. Layla. "Sis! What took you so long!?" She asked, waving her arms around in a playful manner.

You giggled at her, giving her a pat on the head. "Sorry for being late, your highness~ I just got caught up in some thoughts, no big deal." You replied, gesturing for her to take a seat at the dinner table.

A small giggle was heard from her, sitting down as told. You sat on the opposite side, glancing at the food in front of you.

Roast chicken with salad. Again. You narrowed your eyes, mumbling to yourself once again.

'When will we eat something that's not fancy for once? Like pizza? Or burgers?' You pondered to yourself, poking at your food with a fork.

"Uh?- Sis, why're you poking your food like that?"

"Oh..uh- it's nothing! Just got a bit distracted again.." You scratched the back of your head, chuckling nervously.

Layla scoffed. "Oh Y/N, you daydream too much!" She leaned her small body across the table, playfully punching your shoulder. Or- well, she attempted to. Rolling your eyes, you started eating your food.

Your mother was sitting on a one-seater sofa nearby, looking at you two with a smile. Once you had finished your food, you glanced in her direction, raising an eyebrow.