Chapter 39: A Knight in not so Shiny Armor

Everyone in the cave was quiet, in the span of a few seconds Asta went from being beaten to the point of not being able to move, to sending Vetto to the other side of the cave in a single kick. Not to mention he's now in a new form he's never used before! The first one to break the silence was, who started to laugh hysterically. "I admit Brat, this is new! I didn't expect you to pull out a fancy suit of armor in your attempt to beat me. But it will still end up being meaningless, you humans are doomed to fall at the hands of those you yourselves tried to doom!" said Vetto as he shakes his head, "you will all fall to the power of despai-!".

Vetto was cut off when Asta's fist slammed into his cheek. Asta then slammed Vetto's head into the ground before kicking Vetto, causing him to slide along the ground. "Hmph, sorry to be rude, but you left yourself completely open" said Asta before bringing up his hand and gesturing at Vetto to come at him, "now come at me Mr. Despair, I'm tired of listening to you preach. If you want us humans down at your feet, you'll have to do better than that!". "I don't want you humans groveling" said Vetto as he stood up, "I want you all dead!".

Vetto then released a blast of magic at Asta, which Asta quickly jumped into the air to avoid. Asta then looked up to see Vetto already above him and heading straight for him. Asta then blocked Vetto's punch with his shoulder. The two then crashed into the ground in a cloud of smoke. Asta flew out of the smoke before turning on a dime and charging back toward Vetto. Asta then sent a flurry of blocked punches before landing a heavy kick to the side of Vetto's face. Asta leaned back to avoid a swipe from Vetto before being kicked away. Asta then jumped up to avoid another blast from Vetto. Asta sent a flurry of kicks with his right leg that were all blocked by Vetto's massive forearm. Asta then followed up by hitting Vetto in the back of the head with his left leg before grabbing his face and slamming him into the ground in a plume of smoke.

The smoke cleared with Asta pinning Vetto with a knee of one arm, a hand holding the other and a hand still gripping Vetto's face. "Aw what's the matter?" said Asta as he pushed Vetto further into the ground, "the power of despair isn't looking so threatening now!". "Shut your mouth!" said a muffled Vetto, who's third eye started to glow. Vetto then released a burst of magic causing Asta to go flying. Asta then regained his footing while sliding back with one of his hands gripping into the ground to try and slow down. Vetto then launched forward before throwing a massive punch. Asta in response, threw his own punch. But fists clashed and started a pushing match between the two. Both were screaming as the ground under them started to crack under the pressure. Vetto broke the clash before quickly slamming his fist into stomach, causing him to gasp for air. Vetto followed up by hitting Asta with an uppercut, causing him to flip in the air before landing face first on the ground, not moving. "This is the end for you, damn Brat" said Vetto while activating his Bear Claw. Seeing Asta not moving, he went for the finishing blow via a stab with his Bear Claw, "goodbye!". Right as he went for the stab, Vetto instantly stopped, because just an inch from his face, was a longsword in the hands of Asta, who was now on a knee.

"Did you already forget I had these?" said Asta with a smirk before looking at Vetto's clearly annoyed face, "hey, what's with that look on your face? Feeling despair?". Vetto's face quickly flared with anger before smirking and starting to chuckle, "very amusing, Brat. I'll admit, your power has increased substantially, but it will mean nothing. I will kill you, your friends, the people of this temple and the rest of the people of the Clover Kingdom on my quest to bring all you humans to the depths of despair!". "I wouldn't be so sure" said Asta, causing Vetto to look at him confused, "even if you somehow win today, you'll never be able to bring all of us into despair. There is something that you've underestimated, the unbreakable will of the human soul!". "The human soul?" said Vetto before he started to laugh, causing Asta to look at him confused, "you have no idea what is truly within the human soul! An unbreakable will!? Don't make me laugh! Deceit, hate and betrayal are what really make up the human soul!". Vetto then smacked the sword to the side throwing a punch that caused Asta to jump back to avoid. "That is why the Eye of the Midnight Sun does what it does, to remove the scourge that is humanity!" shouted Vetto in a rage. "I don't know what we did to you to make you hate us the way you do" said Asta as he put his longsword away, "but what I do know is that it doesn't give you an excuse to try and kill innocent people!". "There is no such thing as an innocent human!" shouted Vetto, before charging at Asta, "that's why you must all be wiped out!".