Chapter 58: Royal Knights

"Now then, since the rankings have been announced we have another announcement for this evening!" said Julius, "and who better to do that than the King of the Clover Kingdom!". "Wait, King!? Did he say king!?" said Asta in pure shock. "I do believe he said king yes" replied Liebe with a subtle nod. "Oh my god I'm gonna meet the King of the Clover Kingdom!" said Asta with pure excitement, "I wonder what he's like? I bet, since he's the king, he's got some incredible magic!". From the tunnel behind Julius the moment Asta was waiting for had arrived, the king was about to make his appearance!

"Wow...that's a disappointment"

Those were the first words to come out of Liebe's mouth when he saw the King. The man stood a head shorter than Julius along with wearing attire that screamed "look at me I'm important!". Not to mention the mustache that usually would not let him near any kind of playground. "Let's not judge" said Asta, trying to find a single shred of hope in this situation, "looks can be deceiving". The King made a motion to Julius, causing him to take a step to the side before the king began to speak, "good day to you, my citizens. It is I, Augustus Kira Clover XIII, Royal King of the Clover kingdom". The crowd barely reacted to Augustus' arrival, causing the King's face to grow annoyed.

"Glorify me MORE would you?!"

Hearing the King scream at his citizens like an annoyed child caused Asta to sigh before putting a hand on his face and putting a finger up at Liebe, "don't say anything". Liebe began to snicker before shrugging his shoulder, "I have no idea what you're talking about".

'Damn that Julius, stealing my spotlight!' thought Augustus as he glared at the ground, 'I'll show him up and get the people's support!'. Augustus stood up straight before coughing into his fist, "my citizens I come to you today with an announcement!"

"The location of the Eye of the Midnight sun has been located!"

Now that, that got the attention of Asta, not to mention the citizens in the crowd. "For too long have we been subjected to their cheap shots! This time will be different, we will be taking the battle to them! To prepare for that day I have decided we will be selecting an elite team of Magic knights that will be the invading party!" announced Augustus, getting all the citizens excited at every word, "In a week's time, I will be performing a test to see what knights are worthy for the mission! Once they are picked my Royal Knights will eradicate the Eye of the Midnight Sun!" The crowd began to roar with excitement, exactly what Augustus was hoping for. 'Nailed it! Julius was the one who did the investigation but they'll never know that!', thought Augustus as he did the Clover Kingdom's salute.

"Wait, the King's deciding?" said Asta, tilting his head to the side, causing everyone to look at him, "don't you think the Wizard King should make that decision, I mean he is the one who does the actual fighting right?". Everyone was silent, the first one to speak was Captain Jack while laughing, "this is hilarious!". Augustus looked like his eyes were about to pop out of his skull as he stared at Asta.

"Execute him!!!!"

Augustus' pointed at Asta as he continued screaming at Asta, "you may be strong but you're still a peasant! Execute that boy immediately! Come on, do it!". Asta looked like he swallowed a lemon as Liebe flew over to Yuno and Bell, "Hey you ever thought about having two grimoires?". Just then, Julius stood in between the King and Asta, "please calm yourself, your majesty. And out of consideration for me, I ask if you could pardon this boy. Think of it as the compensation for his efforts in crippling the Midnights Sun's fighting potential". Before Augustus' could respond, Julius turned to the crowd, "I'm also looking forward to spectating these exams! Magic Knights! Show us strength!".

Later

After the ceremony was completed, Julius stood with Asta and Yuno in the hallway behind the stage. "I'm sorry for making you have to jump in like that, Wizard King, sir!" said Asta as he rubbed the back of his head, embarrassed. "No need to apologize Asta" said Julius, waving off Asta's apology, "as you both know the Royal Knights exam will be a chance to achieve even greater things than you have currently. You feel like taking a shot?". Asta then cracked his knuckles with excitement, "I'm not just gonna take a shot at it, I'mma win the whole thing!". Julius then chuckled at Asta's excitement, "you two have reached incredible heights for your age, but you two are still rookies and the spotlight put on you today will put a target on your back for the more experienced mages. Strive for greatness but don't get full of yourselves".

After Julius and two said their goodbye's, Asta and Yuno began walking down a spiral of stairs. 'Man, I wonder what kind of test it's gonna be?" said Asta as Liebe floated beside his brother. "If it's anything other than fighting I don't think you'll make it bro, cause you don't really have anything else going for ya" said Liebe with a snicker. "What else would it be then!" said Asta as he turned to his brother, "I seriously doubt they're gonna see if we're good at stuff like math!". Just then Bell joined in, no matter what the test I'm certainly my Yuno will be able to beat anyone!". "Naturally" replied Yuno in a matter of fact voice. "Oh, is that so?" said Asta as he turned to Yuno with a smirk, "then you better hope you and I don't meet on the battlefield then". Before the group could continue, a loud voice cut them off.

"Leo!!"

Asta and Yuno turned the corner to see Leopold facing the current Captain of the Crimson Lions ....before she punched him in the face sending him to the ground. The two also noticed the entirety of the Crimson Lions were on their knees in front of her. "Fifth place!? You idiots caused the Crimson Lions to fall to fifth!?" she shouted before being completely engulfed in fire, "that is unacceptable! Do you want me to kill you here!?". 'we just walk into a bloodbath!' thought Asta. What Asta didn't know was he was about to experience first hand what happens when Mereoleona Vermillion wants to train Magic Knights.

[Chapter 58 End]

The Royal Knights exam has been announced and next chapter will be the beginning of the Grand Magic Region training