Chapter 49: Goodbye Hate

"Asta, stop!" shouted Noelle as she walked towards him, "if you do this, then what was the point of trying to spare Vetto?!". "If I don't stop her right now, she'll kill us all" said Asta as he clenched his unraised fist, "I made the same mistake with Vetto and it nearly cost us our lives! It has to be me, I'm the only one who can stop her without setting off the spell".

Before Asta could bring his hand down, signaling his blades to launch forwards and kill Fana, Mars grabbed his arm. "Stop! I won't let you kill Fana!" shouted Mars, causing Asta to turn towards the Diamond Kingdom mage. "Why? You didn't seem to have any problem trying to kill me, Noelle and the rest of my friends a few months ago!" said Asta as he pulled his arm out of Mars's grip. "I won't let you kill her! Fana was my only friend!" shouted Mars in response, "I thought she was dead, I refuse to let you kill her for real!". "Even if I did believe you, how do we even know that's even your friend?" said Asta, "She's one of the heads of Eye of the Midnight Sun, a terrorist group! For all we know she's just some look alike!". "I'd never mistake Fana for someone else! She's my childhood friend" shouted Mars as he grabbed Asta's collar. Asta and Mars glared at each other before Asta sighed and the blades that were pointed at Fana flew back into the grimoire, "Fine, if you have a better idea I'm all ears". Everyone took a sigh of relief after Mars and Asta took a step back from each other.

"That eye..." said Fanzell, catching the attention of everyone," it's emitting a strange power. I think someone is controlling Fana". "If we don't undo the spell that's controlling her, she'll just restart the spell once I undo it" asked Asta before pulling out Demon Slayer. Before Asta could take a step forward, he was hit by a massive wave of heat, causing him to cover his face with his forearm, "only problem is, unless we go with plan A, I can't stop the spell without getting close, and I like not being burnt to a crisp".

Just then, Asta was surrounded by flames, but they weren't hurting him, in fact, they were healing the injuries Asta had sustained. Asta looked to his side to see Mars surrounded by the same flames. "These should keep us from burning up" said Mars, "you focus on stopping her from blowing up, I'll break the spell". Asta gave a quick nod before the two young mages ran into the inferno.

The flames being released by Salamander were intense, even with the constant healing from the Phoenix robes, Asta and Mars were still barely making it through. "Hey, you still good!?" said Asta as he looked over at Mars, "if it's too hot for you to handle, back up until I stop the fires!". "I'm fine!" said Mars while holding a determined look and began pushing forward, "this pain is nothing compared to what Fana's been through!". Asta looked at Mars with widened eyes, 'he's nothing like how he was when we fought in the dungeon. Back then he was more of a doll following orders than a person'. Asta started to grin before pushing forward too, "well I'll be damned, you do have emotions".

Eventually the duo reach Fana, who's magic will swelling to critical levels. "Die, die, die!" said Fana while holding her head, "all of you die!". 'She's about to blow!' thought Fanzell as he took a step back. "Like hell I'm gonna let you kill anyone!" shouted Asta as he raised Demon Slayer into the air before slamming it down onto the spell, dispelling the suicide spell. "It won't disappear", as soon as the spell was destroyed, Fana's magic began to spike again, "our hatred won't disappear!". Asta took a step back, 'she's gonna activate the spell again!'. Just then, Mars ran forward and pulled Fana into a hug. "Fana! It's me!" shouted Mars, "I'm truly sorry for what I did back then! We've finally reached the outside world! Let's see it together!".

Fana began to scream in pain as memories began to appear in her mind, some in an unknown field with Licht and the other members of the Third Eye and one with her surrounded by fire, cursing humanity. But along with those memories, she had completely foreign ones as well. Memories of her as a child with Mars being used as test subjects of the Diamond Kingdom, and their promise to explore the outside world together.