Smoke

I think this is a good time to mention, I think Dream's mom is probably really sweet. I simply wrote this 'mean mother' character because so many relate to it. I bet her mom is actually wonderful!

TW// Mentions of depression, SH, su!c!dal thoughts, and teen smoking.

Drista had moved back with her parents. It had been two years since the accident, but it left permanent scars. Physically and emotionally. She often had vivid nightmares from it.

Everything was finally peaceful. Her parents were out to get her something to eat. Dream was beside her, talking to her about being more careful from now on. That's when finally a nurse let her hear the news of her friends. It took so long, because the nurse needed permission from all parents first.

"Hello honey, I got somethings to tell you." Drista vividly recalled the unsettling feeling the gentle tone of the nurse gave her.

"Sky and Lani are in rough condition, but they'll be okay." The nurse assured her.

"And Chole?" Drista hardly knew her, but remembered her existence.

"I'm so sorry honey..." The nurse had a soft empathetic expression. "She didn't make it."

Drista broke down, knowing someone died but she got to live. Sky must have been even more heartbroken than her. "Oh m-my god...are you sure the others will be okay?"

"They'll be okay. There may be some lifelong complications, but they'll survive."

Drista woke up after hearing those words again, everytime.

It was a Friday night and she had just woken up suddenly from the reoccurring nightmare.

She rolled around, trying to get comfortable again. She was tired of it bothering her and keeping her from sleep. It had been two years, she wanted to move on. Even though it changed her life.

When she was in the hospital recovering, so was Lani. Sky was lucky enough to get discharged before them. Meaning she was able to visit them. However Sky only visited Drista once, and spent the majority of her time with Lani. During those visits, the two became very close. Sky would cry about Chole's death to Lani, and Lani would comfort her. The trauma brought Sky and Lani closer than they ever were. Meaning slowly but surely, Drista was unintentionally pushed aside. Her friendship with Lani faded. It faded to the point that they didn't even sit together at lunch. Sky and Lani would always want to sit alone outside and eat. Perhaps it was because they ended up getting into a relationship. It was going on for about a year now, and Drista tried to be happy for her friend. The friend that only texted her on rare occasions. To make empty promises of hanging out again soon.

Drista sat up and walked over to her desk. She opened the drawer and moved around the clutter in there until she found her lighter. Then she went to her backpack and got out a nearly empty carton of cigarettes. She was at least grateful her parents hardly went through her things. They were too busy.

Carefully Drista snuck outside through the back door. She made her way to an old swing and sat down. Her and Dream used to play around on it all the time, when he lived there. Now it was the perfect spot to make a mistake.

It had been a month of this habit so far. At first she was consumed by guilt, but eventually accepted that it was helping her.

She only saw Dream on holidays and her birthday. Other than that she wasn't interested in visiting. At the most she would video chat with him once a week. He liked to check in on her, even though he was under the impression that she was doing amazing. That's what their parents told him. Drista didn't mind, she wanted him to think that.