Progress

The dream Drista hated so much came back to her that night. Except it was a little different this time.

"I'm sorry, your friend Lani didn't make it." The nurse with red eyes spoke coldly.

"What?!" Drista shouted.

"It's your fault, why'd you let her get in the car?" The nurse criticized her.

"I-" Before Drista could talk, Dream slapped her across the face.

"How could you be so stupid?!" Dream was furious with her.

At that point Drista quickly woke up and propped herself up. Looking around the room to make sure it was a dream. Tears stung her eyes as she plopped her head back down on the pillow. She remained awake for another hour, sobbing into the pillow and trying to get back to sleep.

Eventually the alarm went off on her phone and she had to get up. She shut the alarm off and procrastinated for a few minutes, walking around her room. She didn't want to go downstairs crying.

When she finally got to the kitchen, Dream was making a cup of coffee. "Good morning, do you want coffee?" He asked. Hoping a nice caffeine high would keep her away from craving cigarettes.

"Yeah please." She was still a bit congested from crying, she sniffled.

He looked back at her. "Did you sleep okay?" He made her coffee and set it down on the table. "You can add your own sugar and milk."

"Bleh..." She got the sugar and milk.

"Bleh doesn't answer my question." Dream laughed softly. He knew she had been crying, but decided to stay out of it for now. She might of been young, but she still deserved confidentiality. He didn't need to bother her with a million questions whenever he knew she was crying. He just needed to help her feel better without bringing attention to it.

"Slept like an insomniac last night." She told him while putting the milk back in the fridge.

"Oh, was something wrong with the room?"

"No, just couldn't sleep."

"Hopefully tonight will be better." Dream said optimistically.

Drista sipped her coffee, flinching as she accidentally burned her tongue a bit. "I'm so tired..."

"You can nap as soon as you get home." Dream assured her.

"Not really, I need to bring homework to Lani."

"Oh? Did you talk to her about leaving you out?"

"I did, she apologized. We're going to try to hang out this weekend...if that's okay?"

"That's good, you can hang out with her. As long as it's here, and I can keep an eye on you." Dream wanted to keep her away from any temptations.

"Ugh, why? I think we've learned we get in trouble no matter where we are..."

"True" Dream tried to laugh that statement off. "You two can hang out in the living room and watch movies. If Sapnap gets hurt, I'll just shoot him." Dream joked, still remembering the accident 2 years ago. He honestly blamed himself, for leaving the girls alone.

Drista sighed and took what she could get. "Alright, I'll settle for that...but I'd never smoke around Lani, she doesn't know."

"Okay, but I don't want to take any chances...you've already stopped for a week, right?" Dream sat down at the table with his coffee.

"Uh, yeah..." Drista nervously sipped her coffee.

"Are you telling the truth?"

Drista shook her head no.

"Drista, you promised..."

"I know..." She felt ashamed.

"It's alright...I'm not mad." He told her.

"You're not?"

"No, just scared."

"I'm going to quit though..."

"I know, I believe in you. Please don't do it today at school. If you get any cravings just call me at lunch, or ask to go to the bathroom." Dream instructed her.

"Sounds like a plan." Drista was willing to give it a good try. She really wanted to improve herself, it was just painfully difficult.

-

The school day dragged on for seemingly forever. Once lunch came around, Drista went to the bathrooms. Pulling out her phone to give Dream a quick call.

He picked up decently fast. He must of been awaiting the call. "Hello?"

"Hey, I'm on my lunch break now."

"Okay, how has your classes been so far?" Dream started a causal conversation.

"Long and boring. I had to write an essay in English. That wasn't poggers..."

Dream wheezed. "No? I'm sorry, did you read another paper from your jar this morning?"

"No I was so tired I didn't bother...can you get one and read it to me?"

Dream walked up to her room. "Yeah, I'll get one now." He found the jar and took out a piece of paper. "okay it says-" Dream paused and laughed at it before continuing. "It says...at least you aren't colorblind."

Drista giggled slightly. "I haven't seen George in like 3 or more years. Is he ever coming back?"

Dream went silent for a second. "Uh...I don't know, so have you been keeping up with your promise?"

"Yeah...but to be fair the girl that usually provides them is in detention."

"Well... we'll consider it luck." Dream wished he could keep her out of public school. There were so many opportunities to do bad things. However public school was the only thing available.

"I'm going to go eat something before lunch is over... I'll see you later." Drista was ready to hang up.

"Okay bye, I believe in you." Dream hyped her up before ending the call.

-

Drista got home unharmed by nicotine, Dream and Sapnap were waiting for her.

She put down her bag on the table and looked at them, as they both looked at her. "May I help you?"

"Did you smoke today?" Dream spoke calmly, expecting good news.

"Nope, barely had a choice anyway." Drista admitted.

The boys clapped and celebrated the victory.

"Ay! Good job!" Sapnap gave her a high five. "Now you just need to make it through tomorrow. One day at a time."

Drista didn't know how to feel about Sapnap knowing, but she knew he was supportive. "Thanks...can someone bring me to Lani's? I've got homework for her."

Sapnap got his keys. "I'm bored as hell, I'll do it."

-

The drive to Lani's was pretty chill. Besides Sapnap turning it into a karaoke session. Drista was about to fork his eyes out.

Thankfully they got to Lani's house before Drista murdered him.

Drista got out of Sapnap's car and walked up to the door. Just as she was about to knock, she heard yelling. She put her hand down and waited. It would be awkward to interrupt an argument. She listened to the argument for 2 whole minutes. She just couldn't hear exactly what was being said.

Soon she decided to just knock anyway, it might be good to break up the fight. Just before she could knock though, she heard Lani scream.

To Be Continued...

Lesson: Developing healthy habits can be extremely hard. Just take it one day at a time, you can do it.

I just wanted to say I appreciate you, I don't say it enough. Thanks for reading my stuff. :)