𝟎𝟏𝟓. 𝐚 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲

015

015. A TASTE OF INSANITY

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

"Where are they?!"

The Supreme Leader paced across the floor of the bridge.

"We are working on locating them as we speak, Supreme Leader," an officer bravely responded to the rhetorical question.

However, his bravery was not rewarded as he immediately stopped breathing and collapsed to the ground. Both General Hux and Admiral Dangir tensed. Neither spoke. That example was followed by everyone in the room.

"You should be patient."

Everyone in the room turned to look at the elderly Mirialan.

"Who allowed the witch to leave her quarters?" Seth looked around expecting an answer.

"Maybe he did," Nim pointed to the officer face first on the floor, "Did you let me out of my room?—Oh wait, he can't answer. He's dead."

Seth growled with frustration.

"There hasn't been a cage that I don't know how to escape," Nim addressed Seth, "That being said, you haven't been able to keep many birds locked up in their cages though."

Seth glared, "Have you any helpful input?"

She shrugged.

"We may have located them, Supreme Leader, Sir," an officer spoke timidly.

"Where?" he quickly pushed his way past to approach the officer.

"The Florrum System, Supreme Leader" the officer stated but added for good measure, "Sir."

"General Hux."

"Yes, Supreme Leader."

"I want you to search this system until you have found all of the escaped prisoners," Seth instructed, "Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes... Supreme Leader," Hux nodded slowly since he dare not argue.

"Take Admiral Dangir with you," Seth added.

"Sir," Hux protested, "I hardly believe that either of us are qualified—"

"I care not about qualifications," Seth interjected, "I care about results. Get me the proper results and you shall be rewarded."

"Yes, Supreme Leader."

"I did not finish. Fail to bring me results," he then gestured to the dead officer, "Get the picture?"

Hux swallowed in response.

Before anything else could be said, the Admiral grabbed the General by the arm and dragged him out of the room. A smart decision. He wasn't sure how much longer he could stand the General's insufferable personality.

"You know that will not end well."

"Must you always place doubt on my decisions, Witch?"

"Only when they are wrong," Nim answered, "Which is every decision you have made up to this point."

"Enough games!"

"You still refuse to listen," the witch shook her head, "Perhaps we should discuss this privately."

Seth followed the witch out of the room and back toward the throne room. Once the doors were closed and the guards had been dismissed, he turned to face her.

"How do you feel?"

"I do not see how that question is relevant," he frowned.

"The dried blood on your forehead and the way your eyes constantly shift say otherwise."

She had noticed. Of course she had noticed. He thought he had done well hiding the voices that now plagued his mind, but apparently not well enough to hide from the witch. With a single glance, he felt as if she had looked into his mind and knew exactly what he was dealing with. As if to confirm this thought, she nodded her head. Yet, she said nothing. Nor did she explain what was happening to him. This only brought greater frustration.

"Listen," she answered all of his unspoken questions.

He stopped and closed his eyes. For a brief moment the pounding in his head that he had experienced from the moment that he woke up stopped. The world was finally silent. Then, one by one, the voices returned. He was unable to determine to whom each belonged, so he was forced to focus on their messages instead.

Exegol. The word was repeated over and over again. He knew not why it was important, just that it was the key to his search for answers. Exegol. The word that had been given to him in his vision as he was hooked up to the machine and connected to the force. He knew the word was connected to Palpatine and now that he was close to possessing the wayfinder perhaps he would be able to retrieve his answers. But just in case that was a dead end, he needed the security of finding those answers elsewhere. Exegol. Palpatine. Wayfinder. Evangeline. Suddenly the girl's name was repeated by the voices until it became a singular chant.

His lips moved in unison with the voices until he was caught off guard by the abrasive feeling of sand. Since his eyes were closed, he was unable to see but the darkness remained even after he opened them. Although he could not see, his other senses were more alert. The air tasted dry and hot. He could hear the wind howl and feel the sand as it grazed his skin. He could also smell as various fruits were peeled somewhere in the near distance. It took him a moment to realize that he was not experiencing a vision. He was awake, but he also knew that he wasn't simply aboard The Supremacy at the moment. He was somewhere in between. Connected to the girl through the force. Everything she felt, heard and experienced he did as well. Until his concentration was broken.

"What do they say?"

Seth opened his eyes and the throne room came back into view, "Nothing, but they've shown me power."

"Ah," the witch nodded her head, "You have finally decided to play the game."