𝟎𝟑𝟒. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐝

034

034. THE NIGHT THE STARS DIED

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

The smell of the flames is what first caused her to frown. Although she knew exactly where she was, she refused to turn around and confirm what she already knew to be true.

"So much trauma at such a young age."

A snarl formed at her lips and she whipped her head around, "What are you doing here?"

"We're connected," he explained, "in a long drawn-out game of cat and mouse."

"Are you the cat or the mouse?" Evangeline slowly crossed her arms as Seth chuckled.

"Both."

"If that were true I wouldn't be able to play."

"Don't you see?" he asked looking behind him at the destroyed temple ruins, "We're constantly switching back and forth between the two. You won't truly know your role until the final moments of the game."

"That's pretty messed up."

"A crude way to put it, but I agree," he nodded his head, "Yet, here we are, unable to change the facts."

"What do you want?" she asked to change the topic of discussion.

"Direct as always," Seth noted, "But you summoned me."

She raised an eyebrow, "I'm pretty sure I'd remember doing that."

Seth rolled his eyes, "Whether purposeful or not, you still called me here."

Evangeline looked around and analyzed a stray piece of ash as it floated to the barren ground, "That actually makes sense. You belong in my nightmares."

Seth frowned.

"Though that still doesn't explain why your consciousness is included in my thoughts," Evangeline added on to her previous statement.

"I shall repeat myself once more," Seth took a breath, no doubt to keep calm, "We are connected through the force by a bond that allows us to access one anothers thoughts, emotions, and even memories."

"All the time?"

Seth shook his head, "The link seems to have a mind of its own as it acts up whenever it wants."

"You act like it's sentient."

"Why wouldn't it be?" Seth raised an eyebrow, "It is part of the force just as you or I... You really hadn't noticed it?"

"I may have been a bit preoccupied with other things," she snapped, "And it hurts like crazy so I don't have a burning desire to make a habit out of accessing the darn thing."

"Interesting..."

"What?" she asked annoyed, "It doesn't hurt you?"

"On the contrary," Seth noted.