𝟎𝟒𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

041

041. THE APPRENTICE OF DARKNESS

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

Evangeline's eyes opened wide. Her heart broke in two as she watched Ben take Seth's hand. His eyes flashed toward her and for a brief moment she had hope that he'd just made a mistake. However, his expression hardened and took his place by Seth's side.

Seth raised an eyebrow, but appeared intrigued as he looked over at Kylo Ren. "Something about you seems different."

"Just shut up and teach me." Kylo Ren said between grit teeth as he lifted his blade in a defensive stance and faced Evangeline and Rey.

"Ben—" Rey attempted to reach out to him, but she was immediately turned down as Kylo Ren held out his hand to silence her.

"He's made his decision," Evangeline's eyes narrowed, "He's always chosen power and I was blind to think otherwise."

Kylo Ren looked as if he wanted to contradict her, but he didn't. He simply looked over toward Seth and waited for instruction.

"As the only one willing to learn... fine," Seth finally agreed to take Kylo Ren on as his apprentice, "Lesson number one. We cut down anyone who stands in our way. The question is: can you do it?"

Seth ignited his blade once more and charged toward Rey. His blade clashed against hers and purple sparks crashed against the floor as the colors merged. He was practically feral as he took her on. Although Rey appeared quite natural when it came to wielding the blade, it was clear that she hadn't been trained to use it like Seth had. His limbs moved with passion and strength, but didn't forget about precision and technique.

Evangeline turned her head to Kylo Ren. Her mind had flipped a switch the second he had walked away. She slowly shook her head, either in pleading or disappoint. She wasn't sure anymore. She held up the blade to defend herself as he began to circle her.

He scoffed. "We both know you're rusty."

"I don't have much of a choice."

"Oh, but you did," he contradicted and slashed his blade against the ground, "He offered you the world. You turned it down, so I decided not to waste the opportunity."

"Don't explain yourself to me." She recoiled and pulled away from him, pointing her blade toward him in the space created.

"When we first agree to work together-"

"I'm pretty sure I threatened to leave you behind if you didn't," Evangeline retorted.

His voice rose to speak over her. "You said that we had a common goal."

She frowned and bit back at the water welling up in her eyes. "I was just using you!"

"Well now I've used you!" He spat back and slammed his blade down on top of hers. She struggled under the increasing weight that he forced down on her. Her knees buckled and slid out from under her as she strained to fight for her life. From the corner of her eye, she could see that Rey had found herself in a similar position.