𝟎𝟐𝟔. 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲

026

026. DANCING WITH THE ENEMY

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

Things had gone haywire much sooner than Hux had expected. The red lights representing an emergency flashed overhead while a siren blared from the speaker system.

"What did you do?" Dangir glared.

"Me?!" he asked aghast, "Why do you assume that I did something?"

"Because I certainly didn't do anything," she said before grabbing his wrist and pulling him aside before he was trampled by a group of resistance scum heading toward the hangar.

They passed by the pair none the wiser; however, it probably helped since they had changed out of uniform into some more casual apparel that they had "found". Hux wasn't too fond of the idea, but he was unable to protest when Dangir thrust a jacket in his face belonging to one of the posted guards that she had knocked unconscious. He was also unable to voice his opinion when they snuck aboard the pirates' ship. He had suggested that they follow at a distance, but she had insisted that there wasn't any time.

"Did you activate your beacon?!" she asked him, incredulous.

"I had no choice—" he tried to explain.

She groaned.

"—You would not listen to reason," he continued, "Not to mention that we should have immediately reported our findings as soon as we stumbled onto the resistance base."

"The Supreme Leader didn't care about the resistance," she retorted, "He only cared about us bringing back the girl. This was supposed to be a covert operation."

"If that were true," he rolled his eyes, "then why were we sent instead of a specialized team of agents?!"

She smacked his arm, much to his disdain, "It was a test, you idiot!"

"Well we'll certainly pass once the First Order infiltrates the base."

"They already have," she snarled and added with a gesture to themselves, "But since they're in disguise, how is the First Order supposed to tell them apart from all the other scum in the building?"

Hux could feel the color fade from his face, "Well, ah—"

"Do you want to be shot?" she ignored his attempt to defend himself, "Because if you had a death wish you could have told me before we left. I'm sure the Supreme Leader could have arranged something!"

"I—" he tried to protest.

"Come on," she interrupted again, "Let's find the girl, she's our best chance of making it out of this alive since the Supreme Leader doesn't want her dead."

Hux frowned but followed silently knowing that if he tried to speak, he'd surely be interrupted. He hadn't expected the First Order to start bombing the complex; however, once they did he realized that perhaps he had acted before thinking things ahead.