𝟎𝟑𝟕. 𝐞𝐲𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐠

037

037. EYE OF NEWT AND TOE OF FROG

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

From the moment they landed on the surface of the planet, Nim Okri took charge in leading the following expedition. Without precaution as to whether the environment was even safe to step foot in, she disembarked from the ship and trudged off into the jungle of the surrounding area.

"Do we just follow?" Finn raised an eyebrow and looked over at Poe who shrugged.

Nim turned her head and looked back at the others on the ramp. "Are you coming?"

Evangeline shrugged and followed after the witch. "Is that good enough for you?"

"Not really," Finn muttered under his breath but proceeded to follow after the others.

The jungle was dense and grew darker the further they walked. No one dared separate from the witch's side as she decisively turned and weaved through the undergrowth. Only after they reached a clearing did she stop. She turned in a full circle before nodding her head as if to say 'yes, this will do'. Nim took a seat on a nearby log and gestured for the rest of the group to follow. Her eyes drifted to each face as she counted their numbers. There were sixteen of them present, seventeen including herself, a large group but necessary all the same. She took a moment to catch her breath before breaking the silence of the area.

"I will gather materials to build a fire. The rest of you will collect the other ingredients necessary to close the rift."

"How will we know what we need?" Poe asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nim pursed her lips but decided against adding a snarky remark. "Because I am about to tell you. You will divide into four groups to retrieve the four remaining ingredients: a bittercress root, water from the Stavrex River, some temporal crystals, and my spell book."

"This planet is part of the Wobochee system," Poe noted in confusion, "A star system that wasn't recorded in our database or almost any other we searched through, but you knew how to get here as if it were the back of your own hand..."

"I should," Nim scoffed, "I lived here for decades."

Finn froze and faced the witch. As if she had seen into his very soul and seen his concerns, she nodded her head and confirmed the very thing he feared. She knew that her apprentice had shown him pieces of his past, so it was only natural for Finn to fear the very spot where life had been sucked out of so many individuals of the past. They were practically standing on top of a graveyard that only she and he knew about. She eyed him as if daring him to speak up and tell someone else, but he kept quiet.

Evangeline stepped forward, clearly eager to close the rift as soon as possible. "Where to first then?"

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘