𝟎𝟑𝟓. 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐧

035

035. TRIVIA NIGHT WITH A HOLOCRON

∘₊✧───────────────────────────✧₊∘

The pain was new, and unpleasant. Before, the link had just provided information and allowed him to see the world from the girl's eyes. However, this time, he had subconsciously been summoned to the very core of her mind. Her pain was ten-fold what his was, but he had a feeling that would soon change. He'd woken on the ground with a splitting headache within the throne room entirely alone. Had he allowed his personal guards to remain inside the room with him then perhaps the medical staff would have immediately been alerted. There were pros and cons to allowing only a select few to see his face, of course, to make that possible he had to take steps to ensure that was accurate information. With the exception of the admiral, the general, and the pair of troopers that the admiral had grown fond of, everyone else who had seen his face had been silenced.

Seth slowly pulled his hood from his cloak up over his head and made his way over to the door. He noticed that the guards tensed but did not turn around as they heard the door open.

"I will be returning to my room now."

"Yes, Supreme Leader," one of the guards replied, but his voice quivered.

Seth grinned to himself at the immediate tension of fear that had grown into the air. The guards moved forward and he followed as they led him back toward his chambers. The walk was silent, just the way he liked it. As soon as he entered his chambers, he slammed the doors behind to further instill fear behind his name. In his mind, fear was just a synonym for respect.

The room was still a mess from the scuffle that had occurred days earlier. Electricity scorches marred the ground, similar to that of the throne room. He made his way to the back corner of the room and threw the top of a chest onto the ground beside him. He rummaged around the contents within for a just a moment before his eyes settled on that which he desired. The stoic expression on his face changed back into a sinister grin.

He took a seat on the floor beside the scattered remains of the room's furniture and placed the object on the ground in front of him. He closed his eyes and focused on the small metallic box. It seemed to present a new puzzle each time he tried to connect with it, as if he wasn't worthy of the secrets that awaited inside. It had been a gift from the witch the first time that he'd succeeded in transferring an individual's life force into himself to increase his power. He'd been told that the holocron had been gathered from one of the original temples of the Dai Bendu. How it hadn't come into the possession of the jedi was far beyond him, but he certainly wouldn't complain. The cube had taught him much over the years, but it was the witch who actually knew what to do with the secrets whispered into his ears.

"You return yet again?"

"I have more to learn."

"I have given you the answers that you seek."

"And now I have more questions."

"I fear you cannot handle much more."

"My limits remain unknown," he replied calmly, "one can only find the line by testing what is already known."

"You've grown wiser since the last we spoke."

"Much has changed."

"You are alone."

The words cut deep as he looked around his chambers as he seemed to realise for the first time in years that he was indeed alone. Although she was an annoyance, at least the witch could fill the void of silence. In fact, this was the first time that he had approached the cube without her by his side.

"How may I assist you?"

"This bond I possess with the girl confuses me," he said after thinking for a moment, "What can you tell me about it?"

"A force bond is one usually shared between master and apprentice," the holocron explained, "It allows the connected individuals to share emotions, knowledge, images, and strength with one another."

"Pain?"

"Another that can be shared."

"Why has this bond been formed?"

"There are many reasons that a bond can form between individuals."

"What is the reason for this specific bond?"

"You have both been briefly exposed to the full-extent of the living and cosmic force."

"The girl summoned me," Seth noted before asking, "Could I repeat the process?"

"If you so desired... However, it is to be noted that like a doorway the bond works from two sides. Why so curious about the relationships of the force?"

"Something of mine was taken," he answered vaguely, "And I intend to take it back."

"The witch?"

"The power."

"Your desire for power will be your downfall."

"Or it will be my triumph."

"The Supreme Leader is dead, why do you crave this power?"

"I have taken my master's place, but my quest for knowledge is far from over."

"Power and knowledge will not fill the void of your heart."

"We shall see," he replied coolly, "How do I access the bond?"

"The girl has been plagued by visions of past trauma," the holocron replied with an answer he was not pleased to hear, "I imagine reflecting on your own youth may do the trick."

"Is there no other way?"

"You shall have to find it."

"If I wanted riddles, I would speak with the witch."

"But that's not an option, now is it?"

"Why have you become allusive all of a sudden?"

"I speak through the voice of reason within those who summoned me."

"Thank you for clarifying," Seth rolled his eyes and allowed the connection with the cube to be broken.

He frowned and took a deep breath. If reflecting on his path was what was required to find his answers, then that's what he would do. He took another deep breath... and then another, clearly not prepared for the past to come bubbling back to the surface once more. He closed his eyes and stilled his breathing before concentrating on the memories that he'd tried to forget. There was more to his past than he let on. He kept some of it close to his heart to focus on his vengeance and his mission of knowledge; however, there were underlying issues aside from abandonment that plagued his mind now. He took another deep breath; however, a gut-wrenching howl of agony emerged rather than an exhale as memories of his past transformed into physical pain.