Chapter 38: Time After Time

"Whoa..."

I nodded mutely. "Yup."

"No way..."

Again, I nodded. "Mmm hmm..."

"That's just..."

I sighed. "I know."

Alex, Lily, and Greta were either staring at me or their feet, in utter shock. I'd just told them about Olivia. This was their reaction:

"Guys, I have something to telly you..." I say. Alex says he thinks I'm pregnant. Lily and Greta know better; so they don't comment. I go on. "I have a sister." They give space to elaborate before talking. Hence the weird "conversation" we were just having. No one knew what to say.

Lily cleared her throat. "I can't wait to meet her."

Everyone stared at her in astonishment.

"What?" she said defensively. "You were all thinking that."

Alex rolled his eyes. "Oh, brother, Lily..."

Uh-oh, lover's spat. "Um, you guys," I said when Lily and Greta opened their mouths. "This is about me remember?" I reminded jokingly.

"Oh, yes, hail you." Greta mumbled, equally jokingly.

I shrugged. "Well, there's my next complaint. My life gets worse."

"Worse than, say...a vampire's?" Lily said pointedly.

I glared at her. She still wasn't happy about Damon and me dating again—yeah, I'd told them. It was too much to keep it from them, after everything that'd happened to me and all.

Alex laughed, though. "Lily, you're such a nerd!"

"No, wait, think about it." Greta said, joining in on Lily's bashing. "If a vampire dates a human, then their life pretty much sucks. Especially if the vampire is a cold blooded killer."

"And if the human knows and keeps dating the vampire, it just gets worse." Lily added.

I leaned forward, getting angry. "But what if that vampire was changing, little by little, because of the human?"

"What if the vampire wanted to change the human to a vampire so the human won't ever be able to be with her friends?" Lily rounded.

"What if the vampire understood that's not what the human wanted?" I snapped.

"If the vampire loves the human enough, why should the vampire care as long as he has the human forever?" Greta added.

Alex stared at us, from Lily, to me, to Greta, all confused. Then he sighed. "You girls and vampires," he pointed an accusing finger at me. "Didn't you say that you hated vampires?"

"I do!" I blurted, without thinking.

Lily and Greta smiled triumphantly.

I realized my mistake and backtracked. "I mean, not all vampires are bad...I mean, they're really quite interesting and...funny..."

Alex stared at me. Then he burst out laughing. "You know, you're right. Absolutely right. In fact, you should write a story about vampires on those creative writing sites. What're they called? Quizzmibble?"

Lilly rolled her eyes. "No, you duffs, quizilla and mibba."

Alex just shrugged. "You know what I mean."

"Thanks," I said awkwardly. "But I'm no story writer. Especially not about vampires."

"But you just said—"