Chapter 4: Prom Prepping

It's hard to say, what exactly happened in the days to pass. Mainly I had been the talk of, well, of the week (so far, anyway, let's hope it's just a week). Damon had not denied any of the rumors, like I had, and Lily pretty much stood me up on telling everyone the truth. We are since not talking. Greta tried setting things down as best she could, but there was no hope. Everyone wanted to know whether or not Damon and I were an item and if we were going to the prom Friday night. To which I replied, "NO!" along with a few other colorful words.

Okay, though, I can't lie about prom. Greta had persuaded me to go and she and Isabelle would pick me up. She said nothing about me having a date. So now here we were, Greta and I, looking for my last minute dress. I had decided just to rent a dress. Greta said nothing about it.

"How 'bout this one?" I took out a plain blue one.

"So far, I've said nothing," Greta began. "But Liz, I have to interject sometime. Not that dress. Get something fancier."

I smiled. "Okay."

I started looking at other ones.

"What color, at least, Greta?" I asked, the first time seeking help.

Greta began her search.

"What kind of dress are you wearing?" I asked.

"It's a surprise," Greta said with a glint in her eye.

It was going to be so unlike her. Now I had to pick out something exotic. I was just kidding when I took out that dress. Never in a million years would I have seriously picked it out. It wasn't even one of my favorite colors! It was a soft yellow color with a sequined bust and it layered down on one side, the other exposed a little above the kneecap.

"It's perfect!" Greta shrieked.

I shook my head putting it back. "No, I was just kidding. I'm not wearing that."

"What will you wear?" Greta sighed, plucking out the dress. "At least try it on."

I sighed, snatching the stupid yellow fabricated dress. "Fine."

It was hard to get on; that should have been my first sign. My hair frizzed up while I was trying it on and everything. It was terrible and it made me feel self-conscious. I never should have tried it on; Greta was bound to love it.

Reluctantly, I stepped out, frowning.

Greta's mouth dropped. "Liz...oh, my God...you look amazing in that! You have to buy it--"

"Rent," I corrected.

"Oh, Liz, please? You're so gorgeous in it!"

"It's too girly," I mumbled.

"No, it's not, it's perfect," she argued.

"It looks like a ripped Belle's dress." I moaned. "I wanted to be invisible."

"I'm only going to say this once and then I'm done," Greta warned. "Get a date and you'll be more...avoidable."

I shook my head stubbornly. "No way. Besides, no one will go with me."

Greta looked at her hands.

"No! No, absolutely not!" I nearly screamed.

"It's just one night, Liz. He won't kill you," Greta said pointedly.

"I'm trying to be rid of the rumors, not acquire more! No, I refuse!"

"But you know he'll go with you and he is really handsome."

My mouth dropped. "Greta, no, I will not go to prom with Damon Salvatore. There is absolutely no way!"

"I can be just as stubborn as you, you know," she pointed out. "I'll drop the subject if you buy the dress."