Chapter 41: The Final Countdown

"Okay, great, I'll see you Tuesday!"

"See you!" I hung up the phone and checked F.I.R.E. off my list. Yes, I had a To-Do List, but it made my living hell life easier. Especially now.

I had just talked to Ashley and told her I'd be able to have band practice in two days. I was actually going to school tomorrow; what a nightmare. Damon wasn't going, so that made it even less tolerable, but, then again, if I were a hundred-and-what-not vampire, I'd skip school, too.

"Now, how come your vampire boyfriend doesn't seem to care about your mortal stuff?" Lily asked distractedly. She was watching New Moon, somewhere after the most horrific part of the movie: Edward removing his shirt. I swear, he has the chest of an eighty-year-old man. What girl wants to see that? Now, Lautner on the other hand had me doing the crazy fan girl squeal every time he was on screen. But of course, I had to convince Damon that he had a better chest than Lautner (half of what I said was true...).

"Cause he knows I don't want to be a vampire and be all emo and say I'm dying of old age at seventeen." I said grumpily, staring through my glasses at my sketchy To-Do List. My contacts were being stupid today and drying every five seconds so I said 'screw it' and wore my plastic framed green and brown glasses.

"No, he just doesn't wanna deal with you for eternity, let alone in, say, a month." Lily mumbled.

I could laugh. If she knew anything about yesterday—I don't kiss and tell—she wouldn't even think about saying that. But I wasn't going to enlighten her. Not just yet. I mean...yesterday was so wonderful, I couldn't even begin to tell her how amazing it was...And I wouldn't tell Elena, either, because she'd probably puke at the thought or something.

Anyway, the next thing on my check list was to take Olivia to the mall to take her to Game Stop. Damon was coming, too, since...well, I don't know. I guess I really wanted him around.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Game Stop was fun, I bought Olivia a couple of games—the new Final Fantasy game, and some Super Smash Bros. games—and then we went to grab something from Burger King. Olivia and Damon struck up a conversation about Final Fantasy and I found it immensely funny that Damon even knew the game as well as he did.

The entire time, I couldn't stop smiling at him. I guess you could classify that as glowing. A couple of times he caught my eye and smiled back, which sent frantic butterflies off in my stomach. I knew then, though—however weird it may seem after only being with him for a couple of months—I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I didn't want to become a vampire, though. But I wouldn't think about the future just yet. I was living in the now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We had three songs Ashley and Abby had written and one I had written. I got the inspiration a while ago and was working on it. It was somewhere after my dad had gotten hospitalized. I was so freaked out with Andrew being around that I had to do something—and writing it seemed the only thing I could think of.

Ashely helped with the chords for almost two hours, showed them to the band, who practiced it for a while, and then, finally, it was time to put it all together.

I stood, holding the mic, like it was my first time singing to an audience. Well, Greta, Lily, Isabelle, and Alex were the audience, but anyway. My legs shook and so did my voice a little bit. It was weird; I was speaking my entire life right now. There really was no happy ending to the song, but was there really in my life? That was a silly thought. Of course there was. I had Damon.

I sang, "Is there anyone?

Is there anything?

To hold him back