Chapter 29: Awake and Alive, but Miserable

DAMON'S POV-

I had no idea why I was even going to her house. What I was going to say to her anyway? That she was right? That I couldn't tell her before because that seemed...well, ludicrous?

Too many questions were racing through my mind too fast. I hadn't been this confused since Elena, and even then I...It was just...different with Liz. She was nothing like Katherine and maybe only a little like Elena, but not really.

I parked in the driveway and pounded on the door. It opened and, without so much as a smile, she crossed her arms. "What do you want, Damon?"

"What? No hello?" I said grumpily, shoving my way into the house.

Sighing in annoyance, Elena shut the door. "What do you want?"

I looked around the large building. "My baby brother at home?"

"No, he's out hunting. What do you want?"

I turned to her. "Honestly?"

"Yeah..."

"I think there's something wrong with me..."

ELENA'S POV-

I stared at Damon, but he wasn't looking at me. I'm sure my mouth was hanging open, as well as the corners lifting up in a smile. But I couldn't help it. As he was explaining all this I could tell exactly what was going on; why was he acting so weird? It frustrated me to no end, but also amused me.

"What?" he mumbled, still refusing to look at me.

"You're in love with her," I said like a 'duh.'

Slowly, he turned his head toward me, glaring at me with dark eyes. "I. Am not. In. Love. With. Her," he said slowly.

I didn't want to argue with him on this. "Well, if you don't like my conclusion, why did you come to see me? You knew what I was going to say."

Damon looked away. "I dunno...I guess I just..."

He just needed someone to talk to. No matter how much he tried to hide it, Damon was still just a person, vampire or not. And I knew he was more upset about the breakup than he let on, that he even knew, for that matter.

LIZ'S POV-

Today was harder. Lily called me, telling me all the details about her new boyfriend and I couldn't help the jealousy bubbling deep inside of me. She asked if I was okay, and of course, I lied. Who could I honestly talk to, anyway? I mean, Lily, Greta, and my dad were the only people who knew what Andrew was. A part of my mind wanted to tell them Damon was a vampire as well, let them burn him at the stake or whatever kills vampires.

But the other part had kept me from telling them because Damon hadn't physically hurt me. Did that mean I would go running into his arms at this moment? Hell no. But it didn't mean I wanted him dead either.

Anyway, Damon sort of slipped my mind later that day when my cell rang. "Hello?" I answered, feeling dread. The number didn't show up and the only person whose number never showed up on my phone was Andrew...

"Elizabeth? This is Alex Jenkins. Do you remember me?"

I had a nerve to sigh in relief. "Oh, hi, Alex. Yeah, of course I remember you."

He chuckled. "That's a good sign, then. How would you like to see a movie tonight?"

I felt my cheeks redden. "Uh...sure...What're we gonna see?"

"What's out that you would want to see? Don't girls like Twilight these days?"

I laughed nervously. "Oh, no, not me. I hate vampires."