Chapter 18: Someone's Watching Over Me

It was hard picking out the rest of my playlist. I had Three Days Grace songs and the Lacuna Coil song on there, and I had added So Sick, by Flyleaf, Lips of an Angel, by Hinder, Don't Stop Believing, by Journey (I knew Ashley and Ethan would love this song; Ethan's always playing it on the bass when he's bored), and---though I'm not a fan of Hillary Duff, and she is not our type of music---Someone's Watching Over Me. I would sing it differently than Hillary Duff, since my voice was completely different from hers, but it is a really good song, when you listen to the lyrics. Needless to say, I would be mocked for this choice, but I had to do it.

Damon insisted on driving me, since my truck was so unreliable. Oh, Abby was going to love this. She was a big Ferrari fan. Poor Ashley had a lot of competition.

When we pulled in, I was feeling self conscious and nervous. I turned to Damon. "Okay, so you should know that I'm not perfect when I'm practicing."

He was trying not to laugh. "Okay."

"I'm dead serious. In fact, I kinda suck."

He nodded, humouring. "I have the tomatoes in the trunk."

I rolled my eyes. "C'mon, let's go."

Everyone was already staring. I tried to hide my blush. What was with me these days and blushing, anyway? Abby's mouth was hanging open. Ethan was lusting over the Ferrari. Benjamin was lusting over the Ferrari, as well. Ashley was glaring at Damon because he had her girl's interest. Poor Ashley. I tried ignoring them.

I cleared my throat. "Guys, this is---"

"The infamous Damon," Abby interrupted. She seemed to have noticed Damon and was certainly liking the view. "Alas we meet."

Damon gave me a smug smirk. I rolled my eyes, sighing. "You guys don't mind him being here, right?"

Everyone shook there heads....except Ashley. I walked up to her, giving her the sheets of music. "I, um....figured you could sing Are You Ready, I Won't Tell You with me, Lips of an Angel, and Don't Stop Believing."

Ashley cheered up a little bit at the last song. "Fine by me. So you'll be singing...." She flipped through the sheets. "So Sick, I Won't Tell You, I Hate Everything About You, and...." she stared at me in disbelief.

"It's not what you think! I saw the lyrics before I hear it," I lied. The first time I'd heard it, I was watching Raise Your Voice---which, pathetically, I liked, but it was honestly a good movie. "You know me, Ashley, I don't sing like Hillary Duff."

"Hillary Duff?" Benjamin yelled. "So not rock and roll!"

"Well, you pick the playlist next time," Abby looked over smugly as I said this. "But this is what I picked and it is what we're playing, got it?"

Everyone nodded, trying not to laugh. "Alright then, Abby, you get to pick the order."

"Let's get this Duff song out of the way."

I grinned. "Okay." I made a mental note not to watch Damon while I sang.

"Found myself today
Oh I found myself and ran away
Something pulled me back
The voice of reason I forgot I had
All I know is you're not here to say
What you always used to say
But it's written in the sky tonight

So I won't give up
No I won't break down
Sooner than it seems life turns around
And I will be strong
Even if it all goes wrong
When I'm standing in the dark I'll still believe
Someone's watching over me

Seen that ray of light
And it's shining on my destiny
Shining all the time
And I won't be afraid
To follow everywhere it's taking me
All I know is yesterday is gone
And right now I belong
To this moment to my dreams